Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hop stopper

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Hop stopper Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Would there be any cons to putting the hop stopper screen onto the original Blichmann dip tube? Since I'm using a 10gal kettle, the dip tube that IHS sent juts out to about the middle of the kettle and then the screen is pressed up against the back of the kettle wall, making it difficult to remove and put in, and it's going to be worse when i put the element in.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may work.

The dip tube in the Hop Stopper is longer. The Blichmann one may be too short:

More inportantly, the Hop Stopper one has half circles cut out of the bottom to make sure it doesn't sit flat against the bottom of the screen which may cause all wort to go through one small space (and would get clogged almost immediately).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THinking about it more: What I would do is order the Hop Stopper as is and simply cut the Hop Stopper dip tube shorter.

Kal

crush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the diptube made at brewershardware.com. They make custom SS dip tubes.
I bought some steel mesh and will make my own stopper, but I don't recommend that. IHS now sell the hopstopper screen without the diptube for $60. That's not much more than the cost of the diy screen and all the blood and toil that is needed to make your own, so I recommend getting the screen from IHS.

Erm...hinking about it you might as well just get the whole thing from IHS and just shorten the tube like Kal suggests.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crush wrote:
Erm...hinking about it you might as well just get the whole thing from IHS and just shorten the tube like Kal suggests.

Yup. It's the easiest. Use the links on this site to contact Dennis and he'll know what you need. We're working together.

Kal

ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already bought it from IHS, and have it, that's how I know it's slightly to long. Cutting it sounds like a good pan though.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to take file or something to it after cutting to remove any burrs... you don't want to cut the silicone washer inside the Blichmann kettle.

Kal

julian81

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same issue with the Hop Stopper I ordered for my 10 gal Blichmann kettle. Did cutting the dip tube help? How much did you cut off? I'm not sure whether I should attempt this, as the Hop Stopper seems to be failing me and might be sending it back if I can't get it to work... I used 1.6oz hops in yesterday's brew (first brew with the hop stopper) and it stopped draining at around the 2-2.5 gallon mark.
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did cut the hop stopper, but seeing as funding has run out, i haven't been able to finish (even though im so close!). I just kind of figured out where i wanted the hop stopper to be in the kettle, marked it, cut it, and filed it down. Nothing to sophisticated. Once i get a batch done, i'll let u know how it went.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some hints from Dennis (the creator of the Hop StoppeR):

Quote:
"Regarding the loss of the siphon. When using a pump, the outflow of the wort from the kettle can exceed the wort's ability to flow into the screen cavity. As soon as the top of the screen is exposed to the air, air can be drawn into the screen cavity. Eventually, the screen cavity will empty out even though the kettle isn't empty and the siphon will be lost. As Kal mentioned, when using a pump, it is advisable to slow down the flow of wort toward the end of draining. If you notice any bubbles leaving the kettle, that means the siphon is getting ready to break. If this happens, immediately shut off the flow at the pump outlet. Leave it closed off for 10 seconds or so - this will allow wort to refill the screen cavity. Then slowly open the pump valve to allow flow again. You will likely have to finish draining the kettle at a reduced flow rate in order to maintain the siphon until the kettle is empty. It is typically the combination of break material and hops that restricts flow through the screen. When using a counterflow or plate chiller, there isn't any cold break, but there is still hot break and other proteins from the malt.

It's actually beneficial that the pick up tube is not in the center of the kettle. The center is where most of the debris gathers. Regarding the seal, as long as you can siphon out water with no breaks in the siphon, then the seal is intact. I am nearly positive that the problem you experienced is a result of pumping out the wort faster than the wort can flow into the screen cavity. If you follow the advice above, I'm sure this will solve your issue."

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: