Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

2 gang box / cord grip through links incompatible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burglar

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: 2 gang box / cord grip through links incompatible. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I went to install the power cord in my kettle yesterday only to realize that the Ace 2-gang box purchased through the Amazon link provided does not have a 3/4" hole to match the 3/4" cord grip.

Of course, I'm dumb, and it clearly states in Kal's directions that the box should have a 3/4" hole, but still just an FYI.

I ordered a 1/2" cord grip (McMaster Part # 7529K181) for the same wire diameter that should solve the issue.
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you do like me. I swore out loud. Drilled out the 1/2 hole and rubber malted the cord grip threads into the box. Jb welded and called it a belligerent work around. No honestly buying the other grip is the smart move.
Burglar

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feurhund wrote:
Or you do like me. I swore out loud. Drilled out the 1/2 hole and rubber malted the cord grip threads into the box. Jb welded and called it a belligerent work around. No honestly buying the other grip is the smart move.

I spat Mountain Dew on my keyboard.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the issues!

Creating these links was really hard... The issue is that Amazon sellers (and Amazon themselves) don't always describe things with the words you want and they change over time.

So while I wanted to use the numbers "3/4" in the words searched at Amazon, doing so results in no hits even though there are likely some that are 3/4". (Instead, I search on the words "2 gang outlet box metal" as that seems to return the most relevant results. Add "3/4" to that and you find nothing relevant).

Whenever possible I try to link to the actual product page but even that is problematic as sometimes products change SKU's (stock keeping units) which results in dead links.

I had to play the fine line between having to update thousands of links every week and just saying "you can get it at Amazon".

So all this to say, please read the descriptions carefully before you click. They are (hopefully) all correct. Wink
In this case the description is "Weatherproof 2-gang outlet box with at least one 3/4" FPT access hole".

Here's the search results: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fs%3Fie%3DUTF8%26ref_%3Dnb_sb_noss%26field-keywords%3D2%2520gang%2520outlet%2520box%2520metal%26url%3Dsearch-alias%253Dtools&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

You'll note that the results are not all "Weatherproof 2-gang outlet box with at least one 3/4" FPT access hole".

What's interesting to note is that Amazon's now showing you other stuff for this search like the 1-1/4" punch, the 5500W element, a 30A/250V locking plug, and a Greenlee 36414 step bit! To anyone else this would seem to not have any relation to the "2 gang outlet box metal" search that was done. But we brewers know better. Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that Amazon was showing related product too. I'm glad someone else said something, I was starting to get paranoid Wink
View user's photo album (18 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been like that for a while - I was seeing the "Kal series" of products being suggested by amazon when I first found this site just before the new year.

We see a lot of faces on the forums, but I wonder how many electric brewery clones are being built annonymously? Surely must be quite a few for amazon to be showing all the related items in the "customers who bought this also bought..." list.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: