Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hop Filtering
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Hop Filtering Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Can't afford a Hop Stopper right now.. What is anyone using to filter their hops from their wort.. I use most pellet hops and they seem to clog up what ever i've tryed..

Suggestions?

thanks
Silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
Troubs

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of people wedging a stainless steel pad (Brillo?) under their dip tube to filter it out. I've never done this so I can speak to the effectiveness.
Spartan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troubs wrote:
I've heard of people wedging a stainless steel pad (Brillo?) under their dip tube to filter it out. I've never done this so I can speak to the effectiveness.

I've done it with copper pads (Chore Boy) but the opening of the tube is at least 1/2", might even be 3/4" I ran a piece of copper wire through the pad and tied it to the tube so it wouldn't come off.
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Copper Pads Reply with quote

Spartan

have you tried this? i used a copper pad last week with my dip tube about 1/4" off the bottom and it clogged up pretty good with 5 oz. of pellet hops.. i was going to take the false bottom out of mash tun and try that.

silverspoons
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hop Filtering Reply with quote

silverspoons wrote:
Can't afford a Hop Stopper right now.. What is anyone using to filter their hops from their wort.. I use most pellet hops and they seem to clog up what ever i've tryed..

Suggestions?

thanks
Silverspoons

I brew with friends that actually whirlpool once in the BK and then transfer it to another tank and whirlpool again.. Works great.
busted knuckle

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hop Filtering Reply with quote

silverspoons wrote:

Suggestions?

thanks
Silverspoons

What about something like shown in post #3? http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/hop-strainer-34303/
This seems like a cheaper alternative. Only downside is you have to worry about the bag touching the element.

Of course a whirlpool is the cheapest method but takes a lot longer.
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other method I seen is similar to what was just posted. Put your pellets in a fine grain steeping bag, tie a knot in and just let it float. I didn't think it would work that well just floating but it sure did.
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Hop bag Reply with quote

I think i'll try the hop bag,, i'll have to make sure it stays away from the element.. i'll report back how it works

thanks all
Silverspoons
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of those bags/strainers people are using (paint strainers/etc) for hop filters were never meant to be boiled. Couple that with the fact that they're in a slightly acidic wort, who knows how much extra stuff is leaching out of them.

Sorry, but I'd never use one myself and I wouldn't want to drink beer made with one.

But that's just me.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Spartan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Copper Pads Reply with quote

silverspoons wrote:
Spartan

have you tried this? i used a copper pad last week with my dip tube about 1/4" off the bottom and it clogged up pretty good with 5 oz. of pellet hops.. i was going to take the false bottom out of mash tun and try that.

silverspoons

Sure, many times. It didn't stop the break material, but most of the hops stayed in the kettle. My wife bought me some cheap ones form the dollar store. I don't think those would work. Chore Boy brand are much more dense, and then I use the pad for cleaning afterward.
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to use a hop spider, I have 6x4 cpvc reducer with a 9x15 nylon hop bag from more beer. These bags are designed to be boiled with hops, so there is no issue with them in the BK. The spider will let me pull out the hop material. Not sure why Kal is concerned about nylon bags, they are designed to replace muslin cotton bags and allow you to reuse them with each batch.
View user's photo album (12 photos)
Grandequeso

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of diy instructions on the internet for making your own version of a hopstopper. I made one myself. It cost me less than $20 to make. I used a $15 screen from Mcmaster and a couple copper sweat fittings. I'd like to support the guy making that product, but it was a bit out of my budget, and heck something that simple I just couldn't resist trying to fabricate myself.
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
A lot of those bags/strainers people are using (paint strainers/etc) for hop filters were never meant to be boiled. Couple that with the fact that they're in a slightly acidic wort, who knows how much extra stuff is leaching out of them.

Sorry, but I'd never use one myself and I wouldn't want to drink beer made with one.

But that's just me.

Kal

If you use a steeping bag, it would work just fine and you wouldn't have those issues. I couldn't taste any difference.. Do you agree that steeping bags would be safe? I don't know why they wouldn't be..
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Nylon Bags Reply with quote

My only concern is keeping them away form the element.. i'll try it this weekend.

Silverspoons
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Nylon Bags Reply with quote

silverspoons wrote:
My only concern is keeping them away form the element.. i'll try it this weekend.

Silverspoons

If you use a steeping bag it will just float, it does sink a little but because the wort is boiling, the bubbles tend to force it to stay at the top. If you wanted to do something you could figure something out and tie it off.
tmcmaster007

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan is to use the same method as when I was propane. I use a hop spider I built together with a kettlescreen. I use a plate chiller and so far I've been very happy with the results. Haven't done any double IPAs or mega hoppy beers.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this idea.. Very cool.

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/hophanger.html
Sparky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pola0502ds wrote:

I built and used the hophanger for 2 years and have had no problem. However, I have quit using this based on latest input that:
- using the paint strainer may not be the best thing due to leeching from the bag.
- there are a couple discussions saying that it is better to have the hops "free range" in the boil.

Note that I could not taste the beer difference between free range hops in the brew kettle and using the hophanger. However, clean up was way easier using the hop hanger. I am just worried about the bag leeching who-knows-what.
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky wrote:
pola0502ds wrote:

I built and used the hophanger for 2 years and have had no problem. However, I have quit using this based on latest input that:
- using the paint strainer may not be the best thing due to leeching from the bag.
- there are a couple discussions saying that it is better to have the hops "free range" in the boil.

Note that I could not taste the beer difference between free range hops in the brew kettle and using the hophanger. However, clean up was way easier using the hop hanger. I am just worried about the bag leeching who-knows-what.

Well, if you used the correct bag such as a steeping bag, there should not be a problem and nothing to worry about correct?
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the ideas Reply with quote

I took a hop bag and tested it with just boiling water in the BK. it moved around a little bit and i'm comcerned with contact with thw element.. i put a SS locknut in the bag for weight and it seemed to work great keeping the bag away from the element. i like the hop hanger idea.. pretty simple,, i'll build one for this weekend brew.

thanks all for chiming in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: