Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

T fitting before Ball Valve

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmcmaster007

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: T fitting before Ball Valve Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I decided to place my T fitting where the temp. sensor is installed before my ballvalve in my setup. I figured this way I would not need the valve to be open to get a reading in my sensor. I've thought about a hypothetical brew day and if there are any reasons for this set-up vs. Kal's set up, but can't think of any. Anyone out there install the T before the ball valve or vice versa that has any insight as to which is better? Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not flowing it may read slightly lower since the wort or water in the t-fitting would be cooled slightly. You probably need flow for an accurate reading.

As well, the times you care about the reading, the valve(s) will be open I think.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
tmcmaster007

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still plan on having the valves open and using the HERMS and recirc. the water to the HLT, so it will almost always be flowing when making those readings. Just was wondering if I was missing something by having them installed before valve, but seems it will work out OK either way as long as things are flowing.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't (off the top of my head) see any reasons why it wouldn't work. You'd probably need different fittings and the like however since you're attaching the "T" to the kettle. I'd have to take one apart to see for sure. I'll let you do that. Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
tmcmaster007

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile I've already assembled it and everything is water tight. I was just wondering if in practice I would run in to an unforseen issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: