Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Oatmeal Stout

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Oatmeal Stout Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone have a good outmeal stout receipe?

I am looking for something that has a medium to thick body and with a silky mouth feel.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: SunDog Oatmilk Stout Reply with quote

Hi Pola,

Here is my recipe that won me a Silver award (not medal) in the 1997 Great American Beer Festival. It was my 6th batch of beer ever so I was pretty proud to win a Silver Smile

My notes for the step mash are a bit muddled but looking over my other recipes, they appear to be accurate. Please note that this recipe is 14 years old - the quality of ingredients has improved dramatically (or I hope - I'm just getting back into it Smile ).

SunDog Oatmilk Stout
=================

Grain
====
8.75# American 2-Row Malt
0.5# 40L English Crystal
0.5# English Chocolate
0.125# English Black Roasted

Adjuncts
======
1.125# Oatmeal
1.0# Flaked Barley
0.5# (8 oz) Lactose

Hops
====
1 oz. Galena (11.7% AA 27.2 IBU)

Yeast
====
Wyeast #1968 (English ESB)

4 tsp Gypsum
Add the gypsum to 5 gal of distilled H2O (Mash out liquid)

Step Mash
=======
12.00 qts @ 130 degrees for 30 min (target temp 122 degrees)
6.00 qts @ 212 degrees for 40 mins (target temp 153 degrees) (Put in about 3 qts at first and then get the temperature, add more boiling water until you hit your target temp.)
The raise temp to 158 degrees until conversion is complete (iodine test).

Sparge
=====
Add 1 tsp lactic acid to sparge water.

Boil
===
1 oz. Galena hops boil for 90 mins

Secondary Fermentation
================
Boil 0.5gal of fermented wort and dissolve lactose into it. Cool. Add to secondary fermentation.

Please tell me if you get a chance to try it out and what you think Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: