Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hop alpha acid question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fatbaldingoldgit

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Hop alpha acid question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm brewing 10g of Electric IPA today..my second brew on the new rig..last week was a stout..a particular favourite of mine... I brewed it first as sort of a control...because I'm not sure what effect all this great temperature control is going to have on an old recipe now I'm not using my old equipment.

For the IPA I couldn't get any Warrior bittering hops so have substituted Magnum instead.

I've adjusted the amount of hops to keep the alpha acid amount constant.

so..42.5g of Warrior at 15.8% now equals 52.9g of Magnum at 12.7% (1.5oz = 42.5g)

I can understand apportioning to keep the alpha acid content constant for bittering but not so sure about doing the same for flavouring or aroma.

I have some 15% Citra (and 3.3% Crystal) for dry hopping. Should I change the amount added to keep the AA amount constant?

What does everyone else do?

View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compensate for AA for any hops boiled for more than (about) 20 minutes. Anything added after that is for flavour/aroma so I don't change the amount. Same is true for dry hopping. Don't change the amount.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Fatbaldingoldgit

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal....Looks like I'm 13g short of Centennial and Amarillo then for the last 5 mins...

I have some spare Challenger...would you substitute or leave as is..and make a note next time order more than 100g of those hops?

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'd use UK Challenger (a british hop) as a sub for american.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Fatbaldingoldgit

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That comment could be interpreted as hopist, Kal!

I decided not to worry about it in the end..and make a note to order more hops for the next batch....

It's in the fermenter now....at bang on 1.065..

Gonna have a go at Pliny the Elder next if the Electric IPA works out..just trying to get my head around a £50 hop bill..

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: