Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

How low can I install the heating element

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: How low can I install the heating element Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am drilling my 20 gallon blichmanns hopefully tomorrow and am already sweating. I am wondering if there is any downside to putting the element low in the HLT and Boil Kettle, maybe 1/2 inch off the bottom or as low as the enclosure box will allow. I want to be able to boil the smallest amount possible eg. If I pull the first runnings to do a cheaters decoction. I would just put a stainless mesh hop blocker around the pick up to one side of the kettle so it doesn't interfere. Let me know your thoughts and any down sides to the approach. Thanks.
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My HLT element is about 3" from the bottom which is just about as low as the junction box would allow. I might have been able to get it 1/2" lower, but I wanted to give myself some "slop". I don't think you could get the element 1/2" from the bottom just by the way the bottom of the kettle tapers in and the size of the locking nut. In the boil kettle, I had to go a bit higher so the element cleared the hop screen on the pick-up tube. In the BK, the top of the element is about 4.5" from the bottom. The 5 gallon mark is 5", so boiling 5 gallons should be OK.

Before you even think about drilling into the kettle, make sure you've measured, dry fit and measured again. Don't forget to measure Smile
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rosenjm. I am meticulous so I will be fitting and measuring ten times. Quick follow up. What type of hop blocker do you have? Is it the same as Kals? Is there a benefit to having the mesh filter and pickup cross the center of the kettle or can I keep it to the side near the stock pick up tube? If I do this I can mount the element at the same low height as the HLT and then boil maybe a 3 gallon volume if needed. Thanks for the feedback.
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the same one Kal does. It is pretty big and I don't think you could get it pushed enough to one side to allow the element to get much lower. I suppose you could use a different hop filter that would allow you to mount it lower. Just looking at how everything is set up, I think 3 gallons is going to be busing it in the 20 gallon kettles. You might consider smaller kettles if that is your target boil size, but anything smaller than the 20 gal will limit your max boil size too.
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rosenjm. I don't plan on doing 3 gallon batches, but when I do Lagers I like to pull the first runnings from the mash, maybe a few gallons and then boil them down to caramelize (specifically create maillard compounds) to recreate the decoction character. I wanted to keep that ability with this set up, but might just do that part on a stove instead.
On a separate note is the standard position of the pick up tube poor, and if you put a screen on it would it work adequately? Or do you recommend following Kals modification? Thanks again.
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm not sure what your question. I don't think you could put a screen on the stock pickup tube. The Bilchmanns, as designed seem to be the best thing out there. I haven't really done a lot of research on different hop screens for the Bilchmanns. Kal has a pretty good discussion on the various ones available and why he chose the one he did. I am of the mind that if it ain't broke, don't fix it and Kal's setup seems to be about as un-broke as you can get.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: