Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

brew stand

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: brew stand Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just bought all the parts for the brew stand. I converted the imperial to metric, like this:

2"x4" -> 48x98mm
2"x6" -> 48x148mm

These seem to be the standard construction sizes provided by suppliers here and are even called after the imperial equivalent (2x4 etc..), although slightly smaller than the imperial equivalent. But when I look at the stock, it seems much thicker than what I see in Kal's photos.

I'm guessing that the 2" is nominal, and that it's really about 1.5"? And similarly for the 4" and 6"? The hint is that you are using 5" screws, which of course wouldn't normally go through 6" of wood. I had to use 160mm screws (6").

I find myself getting confuddled with U.S. measurements not being what they really are, that measurements are nominal and considerably different to what they really are, same with pipe sizes. Sometimes it's simplest to just call a spade a spade!

Kal, maybe you could update the parts list to include the actual measurements (in metric) for people building outside the US, where conventions may be different.

Cheers,
crush

EDIT: just found this on wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumber#Dimensional_lumber. Lists 2x4 as 1-1/2 x 3-1/2.

Last edited by crush on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2x4 piece if lumber in North America is actually more like 1.5x3.5". Everyone still calls it a "two by four". Same with the others too. They're all actually smaller than what it measures as you've noticed, even in Europe.

If I was to give actual sizes, I think it would cause even more confusion. I use the common names that everyone knows. If you go to a lumber store and ask for an 8 foot long piece of 1.5x3.5" they'll look at you funny. Ask for a 2x4 and they'll know exactly what you mean.

The actual measurements of the lumber sizes do not really matter anyway. The important ones are the ones I list on the first page:

Build anything to those specs using whatever lumber is handy and you'll have the right amount of room. The stand is crazy-overengineered in terms of being able to support the weight of the 3 kettles. You could (for example) use only one 2x4 per leg (instead of 2) and it would still be strong enough IMHO. I doubled them up and then used 2x6's for the horizontal just to give it a 'beefier' look.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply!

kal wrote:
A 2x4 piece if lumber in North America is actually more like 1.5x3.5". Everyone still calls it a "two by four". Same with the others too. They're all actually smaller than what it measures as you've noticed, even in Europe.

The size in the timberyard is the actual size - the names 2x4 are just nicknames - the lumber is marked up in actual size in mm.

Quote:

If I was to give actual sizes, I think it would cause even more confusion. I use the common names that everyone knows. If you go to a lumber store and ask for an 8 foot long piece of 1.5x3.5" they'll look at you funny. Ask for a 2x4 and they'll know exactly what you mean.

I'd like to see their faces! I know carpenter who asks for measurements by mixing imperial and metric - "I'll have 3 feet and 20cm of the 2 by 4 please!" I understand (now!) the 2x4 is a convention, but it's a local one. Of course writing 1.5"x3.5" is meaningless - I meant that you might give actual sizes in metric so it's clear that it's actual vs nominal size. Or at least point out that these are nominal sizes with a link to the wikipedia article. I'm thinking that if I missed it, then others outside the US surely will too. I had the choice of 36x148 which would have been a better match for the 2x6, (and costs less.)

Quote:

The actual measurements of the lumber sizes do not really matter anyway. The important ones are the ones I list on the first page.

Build anything to those specs using whatever lumber is handy and you'll have the right amount of room. The stand is crazy-overengineered in terms of being able to support the weight of the 3 kettles. You could (for example) use only one 2x4 per leg (instead of 2) and it would still be strong enough IMHO. I doubled them up and then used 2x6's for the horizontal just to give it a 'beefier' look.

Naturally, the stand will still work with the larger dimensioned lumber. But it's going to look seriously chunky! I think I may have to borrow a couple of elephants from the local circus just to put it to good use...or upgrade to 55gal pots. Very Happy

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crush wrote:
The size in the timberyard is the actual size - the names 2x4 are just nicknames - the lumber is marked up in actual size in mm.

Are you sure you're looking the same grade of lumber? If they give measurements right down to the millimeter, that's pretty precise! You don't get that precision with 'regular' inexpensive softwood lumber that is typically used in construction (often called SPF for the three most common white woods used: Spruce, Pine, and Fir).

I went to my scrap pile of lumber and picked up one piece of 1x4". The dimensions by a few mm depending on where exactly I measure.

At my local Home Depot I can also buy 'premium' cut wood in various sizes that is far more precise. But that's not what I use here.

Quote:
Or at least point out that these are nominal sizes with a link to the wikipedia article.

I'll do that.

Kal

crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just measured the 48x148mm lengths, and it's pretty much spot on. If it is off, it's consistently off by the same amount, and only a millimeter or so. That was the only quality choice I had, both at the local supplier and at this one online. (http://www.byggmax.com/no-no/Prod/Tra/Virke-Obeh/Default.aspx). Given the price, I guess it's all "premium"!

What was funny was that when at the timberyard, I looked at the 2x6" (48x148mm) and thought, "that's way too big, I must have made a mistake in my notes." I got out my phone and browsed to the page, and double checked it indeed was 2x6". I knew that the size in inches is nominal (i.e not exact) but I didn't realize it was off by so much!

Either way, thanks for putting up the note and the wiki link, that will make the instructions foolproof...(I guess that means I'm the fool!)

Cheers,
crush

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crush wrote:
Either way, thanks for putting up the note and the wiki link, that will make the instructions foolproof...(I guess that means I'm the fool!)

Nope! I didn't expect any non-north americans to be building this!

I'm slowly bit by bit teaking the text to (hopefully) make it clearer based on input like this. It's all good!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: