Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Heating element rust
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunleav1

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: elements update Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
After three brew sessions and four cleaning sessions, no rust. I am very happy with the new elements.
rustedkettle

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anybody tell me if there is anything I can do for this heating element please?

http://imageshack.com/a/img21/576/ojhq.jpg

What's wrong with it? Is it hopeless?
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustedkettle wrote:
Could anybody tell me if there is anything I can do for this heating element please?

looks like it was some sort of chrome coated element. The coating has been falling off and is somewhere, god only knows where.
Only replacement can address it, but it will peel off like the first one so look for an alternative that is not coated.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castermmt wrote:
rustedkettle wrote:

looks like it was some sort of chrome coated element. The coating has been falling off and is somewhere, god only knows where.
Only replacement can address it, but it will peel off like the first one so look for an alternative that is not coated.

Aw Sad That's too bad. Well, thank you very very much, sir!
jcaudill

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello - I stumbled upon this thread because I'm having the same issue as everyone else with the Camco element and rust. The difference is I use a Polypropylene Tank because this is only a HLT for me.

That said - some use anodes successfully but if I'm understanding correctly, and anode will have no effect if it's not joined to the same metal that the element is? And for that matter, it sounds like it won't work if the tank isn't metal.

Can someone confirm before I dump a bunch of money into a all stainless element?

Thanks!
orangehero

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustedkettle wrote:

Zinc plated copper. Use a stiff brush/scrubber and some kitchen cleanser (i.e. Bar Keepers Friend) and get rid of the plating, you really don't want to be consuming it. The bare copper will be fine.
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Brewmation elements Reply with quote

Just thought I would post my experiences of using Brewmation elements with SS bases. They are superb. I've now done 12 brews and they have worked flawlessly with no rust evident on the bases. The Electric Brewery is such a fine design that it really seems a shame that the rust-prone Camco elements are still promoted as the product of choice.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Orangecrush

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Brewmation elements Reply with quote

chastuck wrote:
Just thought I would post my experiences of using Brewmation elements with SS bases. They are superb. I've now done 12 brews and they have worked flawlessly with no rust evident on the bases. The Electric Brewery is such a fine design that it really seems a shame that the rust-prone Camco elements are still promoted as the product of choice.

I agree, why make such an investment and cheap out on the elements. Brewmation elements are worth very penny.
rypalmer

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of new options coming online:

- Canada: Everwood Ave Brew Supply has the exclusive distribution for Camco elements featuring stainless steel bushings https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/product/stainless-steel-camco-heater-element/ / https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/product/stainless-steel-camco-heater-element-55w/ a little more expensive but still quite reasonable
- US: Electric Brewing Supply http://www.ebrewsupply.com/stainless-elements.html has very good looking elements at very reasonable prices.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and stay tuned here as well ... The word "exclusive" stated by Everwood isn't correct. Wink
The ebrewsupply ones are straight (not ripple) so they are not ULWD.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
... and stay tuned here as well ... The word "exclusive" stated by Everwood isn't correct. Wink

Kal

Cool!

Also, brewhardware in New Jersey has stainless steel ripple ULWD elements.
rypalmer

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

That was straight from the horse's (Dave's) mouth! I meant "in Canada", btw. Any idea if this at least is true?

According to my math, the heat density of the E-brew supply element (http://www.ebrewsupply.com/stainless-elements/304-stainless-steel-element-5500w-straight.html) is about 52 watts per square inch, vs 50 watts per square inch on the Camco ULWD elements. I had trouble verifying the Camco heat density though, and could only reference this link: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Camco-02963-5500W-240VAC-ultra-low-watt-density-ULWD-RIPP-element
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rypalmer wrote:
kal wrote:

That was straight from the horse's (Dave's) mouth! I meant "in Canada", btw. Any idea if this at least is true?

Given that others can ship to Canada, I don't see how that can be true.

Quote:
According to my math, the heat density of the E-brew supply element (http://www.ebrewsupply.com/stainless-elements/304-stainless-steel-element-5500w-straight.html) is about 52 watts per square inch, vs 50 watts per square inch on the Camco ULWD elements. I had trouble verifying the Camco heat density though, and could only reference this link: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Camco-02963-5500W-240VAC-ultra-low-watt-density-ULWD-RIPP-element

Afraid that math would be incorrect. The E-brew supply ones have a watt density of 18 watts per square centimeter (not inch). People will likely overlook this unfortunately.

1 square inch = 6.4516 square centimeters

For an element to be ULWD it has to be 50W per square inch or 7.8W per square centimeter, so the E-brew ones at 18W per square centimeter is the same as 116W per square inch, 2.3 times too high. I would not use a 116W per sq/in element in the boil myself.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
rypalmer

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
The E-brew supply ones have a watt density of 18 watts per square centimeter (not inch). People will likely overlook this unfortunately.

Jesus I am slow this morning... I noted 8 watts per square centimeter not 18. My mistake.
rypalmer

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, the 6000 watt version at E-brew supply is 88 watts per square inch instead of 116 for the 5500 watt version. 24% less heat density. They are quite long though (22 inches) and may not fit in all kettles. What's your threshold for what is considered suitable, Kal?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have a threshold - I simply choose to use whatever's the lowest watts per sq inch available to minimize any issues.

For what it's worth, there do not seem to be any standards around watts per sq inch in order to name an element. ULWD (ultra low), LWD (low), MWD (medium), and HWD (high) are names used but even Camco is not consistent as to how they label their elements.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I JUST purchased new elements for my new kettle builds I'm doing! Oh well...
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to keep in mind is that unlike all Camco brand heating elements, most of the new heating elements that are popping up are made offshore for extremely cheap and are not UL listed for USA/Canada.

I get daily spam emails from China like the one below saying that they sell a lot of 4500/5500W elements this one (look familiar?) to stores that cater to brewers. None of their products are UL listed of course and their prices are stupidly cheap compared to models from Camco.

If the goal is to obtain stuff absolutely as cheaply as possible, people are not going to like what I recommend on this website. Wink

Quote:
To: <kal@theelectricbrewery.com>;
Sent: 2015-02-03 14:09
Subject: Electric brewery heating elements

Hi Kal,

This is Anna from Dongguan Detai Electronical Co., Ltd. We have been customizing various air heating elements & immersion heaters since 1995.

Glad to know you that you are in the market of electric brewing. Though you are currently using the ripple elements, we would like to recommend you with our SS/incoloy foldback electric elements with 1" flange which have been selling very well in US. Some feedbacks from american customers are followed for your reference.

Free sample can be provided. Please kindly contact us if any inquiry.

Thanks. Best regards.

PS: Hong Kong Electronics Fair: April 13th -16th, 2015. Booth #: 5B-E11. Hope to see you there.
Anna Tang
Department Supervisor
Dongguan Detai Electronical Co.,Ltd
Add: No.6, Dongyuan 1st Rd., Lianhu, Tangxia Town, Dongguan City, 523721, China
Mobile: 0086-13929241568
Tel: 0086-0769-82168763
Email: marketing@detaiheater.com

I remembered this thread when I saw another email from "Anna" today - she's been emailing me constantly to follow up... even hoped I had a nice Easter: Wink

Quote:
Hello Kal,

Good morning. Wish you had a nice Easter.

We are wondering if you received our last email. Here it is again for your information. According to our US customers, 5500w and 4500w heaters are the most welcomed. Is that the same in your sales? Likewise, lower watt as 1650w, or higher watt 9000w, are needed as well.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To close the loop - We've now got the new Camco stainless steel elements made specifically for homebrewers available for a price lower than anywhere else.

See: www.theelectricbrewery.com/stainless-steel-heating-elements

Worldwide shipping available.

Kal

jengum

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discouraging. Two element bases rusted here too (from assembled Electric Brewery heating element kits), upgraded elements and anodes ordered. For me, the overnight soak was probably the problem - over-zealous first system clean.

I still haven't brewed a batch yet. Solve the corrosion problem and install the hood fan, then I'll start brewing.

Belgian styles, brett, lacto, fruited
Charcuterie
View user's photo album (13 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12
Jump to: