Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Heating element rust
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
lostdruid wrote:
Kal, given so many people are having this issue it might be appropriate to recommend the anode by default rather than as an "if you have a problem" kind of scenario.

FWIW, we've sold many hundreds of heating elements (in both kit form and pre-assembled) last year and we rarely get any emails about it. Searching my emails for the word "rust" comes up with 4 customers who mentioned they saw rust.

I checked the numbers for those that purchased from Amazon using our links to built their own and the amount of heating elements sold is 12.0 times higher than the number of anodes. Only 8.3% of brewers who built their own also purchased anodes in 2013.

Maybe not the most scientific approach, but it appears to only be a small percentage of people that seem to have the issue. Recommending that everyone install the anode by default may be overkill, as you can always do it later.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had rust on my amazon bought element, bought 3 only one rusted but rather bad, replaced it with a stainless and seems to work fine now

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an Amazon link to purchase these all-stainless elements?
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheapest one I've found

http://highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/Heating-Element-5500-Watt-SS-Unwired-276p3896.htm?idaffiliate=21

http://www.build.com/rheem-uv12904/s835433

Last edited by Ozarks Mountain Brew on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rust on both my camco elements. I just bought and am about to install all SS low density elements I bought from brew nation. They cost more for sure but I prefer this route rather than using an anode.
lostdruid

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was purchased through you (technically Mike@Spike). I updated my previous post with a picture (one page back).

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm curious, if the BK element doesn't seem to be impacted that much, what's the reason? Is it the acids from the hops? Does it etch the face somehow to effectively provide a permanent barrier? If so, would it be practical to just go ahead and boil some hops in the HLT 1x/2x to get the same effect?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some reaction in the boil probable passivates the metal ont he element that doesnt happen in the MLT. why not just passivate your elements pre-installation?
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you think nitric acid?

http://wine.appstate.edu/sites/wine.appstate.edu/files/Diversey_PassivationofStainlessSteel.pdf

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The elements probably arnt stainless, probably just regular iron.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking that the element is coated copper but the base is whats rusting, not sure what thats made of might even be nickel alloy,

a thin layer of high heat silicone might be the easiest thing
Fejj

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silicone tends to have solvents in it until cured, id be worried that would leech into the beer.
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a food-grade silicon to seal a heating element in my old plastic HLT. That worked.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foomench wrote:
I used a food-grade silicon to seal a heating element in my old plastic HLT. That worked.

Fair enough, when i think if silicone in my mind i think of that nasty crap they use in bathtubs.
dunleav1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Element rust Reply with quote

These are stainless steel elements with standard base after about 10 months of brewing - 26 brew sessions.

IMG_1784.jpg
 Description:
kettle
 Filesize:  95.15 KB
 Viewed:  37983 Time(s)

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg
 Description:
hlt
 Filesize:  92.32 KB
 Viewed:  37983 Time(s)

IMG_1781.jpg

dunleav1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: elements update Reply with quote

Kevin at Brewmation is the only one offering stainless steel elements with stainless steel elements that I could find.
I've replaced the elements in the above post with Brewmation elements.
I'll post a picture up of the Brewmation elements once I install, calibrate, brew, clean.

Both elements I received from Brewmation and High Gravity were APCOM elements. However, Brewmation orders a large special batch of elements that have stainless bases from APCOM.

I'd be curious for someone who doesn't have rust to list the manufacturer of the element, and to then disassemble their element connection and see what they find.
gatewayracer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just clean it, put a small coat of Dap all purpose silicone on the face of the base and put it back in, no worries!

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=67&SubcatID=27
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had rust on both my HLT and BK heating elements. I bought and installed the Camco 11553 RV Magnesium Anode Rod. They are 1/2" just like the other bulkheads we have installed so familiar with the install procedure using the SS shims and silicon rings. I have no more rust issues.
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcrabb22 wrote:
I too had rust on both my HLT and BK heating elements. I bought and installed the Camco 11553 RV Magnesium Anode Rod. They are 1/2" just like the other bulkheads we have installed so familiar with the install procedure using the SS shims and silicon rings. I have no more rust issues.

+1 on the magnesium anode. I only installed it in my HLT, but it seems to be doing the trick for the most part. The key is to dry out the face of the element after you're done for the day I believe, and leave the lid off so the HLT can dry out completely.
View user's photo album (6 photos)
dunleav1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: elements update Reply with quote

Here are my new all stainless steel elements and kettle connections.
I left water in the boil kettle over night and no rust.
I am very happy with these alterations so far but I haven't ran through a complete brewing session yet.

Note: On the comments about the boil kettle element not rusting and having a dark patina.
My old element had this as well, but I took the element out of the kettle and saw rust under the patina and on the threads of the element base. See my other pictures above.

IMG_1805.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.9 KB
 Viewed:  37794 Time(s)

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.42 KB

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.46 KB

IMG_1787.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: