Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

BEER: What are you drinking right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Tonight it's a BH Munich Dark Lager where the slight sweetness compliments the caramelized onions in the homemade French onion soup.
View user's photo album (19 photos)
Sparky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
the crap selection available at our Ontario liquor and beer stores. I keep hearing about all these wonderful beers in the US but barely any of them make it up here.
Kal

Hey Kal, since you are selling your house, may as well move to the Northwest (US). PLENTY of excellent beer! The variety of micro brew from the area and world wide is HUGE. Hell, the new trend (ha-ha, being San Francisco) is to home brew and then Tweet your list so people come over and have your beer. Put a couple chairs out front and only ask for donations or barter.
Nothing like hanging out with the Hipsters in the Mission area or West Oakland. Thumbs Up

oh ya, this being the "what are you drinking," tonight it will be the Weizenbock. Also going to bottle my "Old Brune-Dog" barleywine. MmmmMMMmmm...
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, we're selling, but the house we're moving in to is already 80% built. Wink

I like the idea of sharing beer however!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the patience to brew and, particularly, age barleywine rules me out as a barleywine brewer and instills a sense of respect for those that do. I hope to taste a bottle one day!
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:
Tonight it's a BH Munich Dark Lager where the slight sweetness compliments the caramelized onions in the homemade French onion soup.

I would imagine the sweetness in the lager is from caramelized malts, so the two should go hand in hand. Thumbs Up

I've found that onion (and garlic) can have a very strange effect on the taste of beer. If I had to guess, I'd say it's flavor hop compounds, so I feel low flavor hopped beers are best with these. I've experienced English ales (usually high in flavor hops) to be unstable with foods with a lot of onion/garlic. But there must be a third source - some kind of combination, since pickled onions used to be a staple bar snack in English pubs! But lagers work very well! Kingfisher and curry anyone? Very Happy

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to make wine where, after a few months of fermentation it would sit on oak for a year and then sit in the bottle for at least another year. So I was always 2-3 years behind drinking it... compared to that, beer (even barleywine) is quick! Smile

Kal

crush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow 3 years! I hope you were rewarded after your wait! And I guess you couldn't even sample it halfway through, for fear of introducing oxygen!

I've just made my 2nd wine - a merlot from a Williams Brewing wine kit. It's now bottled at 7 months old, and right now very quaffable! It's a bit on the light side (I may have added too much water, mixing metric/imperial) and it's missing some backbone, but as far as I understand, that how it is with wine kits, unless you add tannins afterwards. Pleasant, clean, and drinkable, but simple - I just get fruity overtones (blackcurrent, vanilla - hard to tell, I've got a cold) but no layers/depth (again maybe the cold!) There were oak chips in the fermentor - do you think the flavor will develop in the bottle if I leave it for a year or so? I don't mind if this is the finished product - it's pleasant enough, just one-dimensional.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were all high end 23L wine kits (no water added) that also had grape skins. About $5/bottle once all was said and done. They were "ok" but still no match for a $10 bottle of storebought wine. I made about ~20-30 kits and simply stopped since (a) they weren't as good as the storebought stuff and (b) I wasn't really 'making' anything. Wine making's all about getting good grapes/must. Once you have that 99% of the work is done.

Kal

crush

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the details. Makes sense that you stopped if you weren't getting something special. And I agree, compared to brewing all-grain, wine and mead making feels like I'm lying when I say "I made this", in much the same way as a microwave meal can be considered cooking! But, the economics here are a little different. The least expensive wine here is $12 a bottle, and at least $20 for a decent wine, so I'm very happy with the cost/taste outcome! Very Happy Of course, for a special occasion, I'll go out an buy a good bottle. Not sure I'd say the same for beer though! Then again, maybe the Pilney inspired 260 IBU locally brewed beer might worth saving for that unforgettable moment! Very Happy
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Light Summer Pils Reply with quote

Light Summer Pils ( even though the weatherman is calling for some snow today and tonight! ) with a pound of Honey added in the last 15 minutes of the boil. very crisp and refreshing.

Silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the portable bar/keg setup went over well at a friends birthday, exhausting my Munich Lager supply which was a hit, and leaving only about 2 pints of the Brew House Cream Ale from one of the kegs; I saved 1/4 of a keg, just in case, and left that home. While it only had 1 week conditioning time, everyone raved about it. Most had about 8 glasses each, commenting it was the best home brew they ever had and were giving away beer they bought to drink mine instead! Thumbs Up

Not a bad setup for scrap construction site lumber and about 2hrs of my time!

So, 2 weeks later I'm enjoying the bottom of the first cream ale keg with a stir fry. It has a great hop profile and an extra creamy, micro bubble mouth feel. Fermented with Wyeast California Lager.

crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I think I'll be making one of those portable bars! I made just a little L shape that sits on top of the keg, but it's easily knocked off or topples backwards from the weight of the shank. I like what you've done! I might add a shelf below the taps, for a drip tray - some parties are inside..(norwegian winters...), so it saves having to keep mopping up with a towel. Thanks for the inspiration!
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was going to add a shelf for a drip tray but knew this was staying outside so I didn't bother. The legs were spaced to accommodate two 4.5 gallon buckets; dropped in the kegs, packed with ice around the sides. Honestly, what I wanted to do was use pipe, much like you see for bar foot rails. Have it mounted on each side with large flanges, screw in the large diameter pipe about 12" long, toss in 2 90's and join each side with a 3rd pipe length. Basically an upside U with the faucets mounted in the middle with the lines running inside the pipe channel. The downside to that idea is that I'd have to buy short elbow shanks, I'd need some way to access the inside of the pipe to secure the shanks in place and the overall cost of both was out of the budget considering I built this for FREE.
Andrewss

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

I am enjoying Leffe now. It's my favorite and nice pictures Greg.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much left after a big family party over the holiday weekend. Drank my last Smidick's clone last night, very smooth, dark amber color, creamy head, then had an American Pale Ale, our family favorite, just the right blend of malt and hops. I might actually have to go to the store and buy beer for the first time in many months. The brewery has been busy making the beer for my son's wedding coming up in mid february. brewed three straight days over the weekend and all my fermentors ( plus a couple new ones ) are full and bubbling away.

have a nice new year!

Silverspoons
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andrewss. Mug

I'm nursing a glass of Gatorade after coming down with a bout of gastrointestinal from something I ate. Made for a painfully long New Years Eve shift at work until midnight.
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back on the brewing bandwagon as I finished up the last Brew House kit I'll be buying. This one being the BH Red Ale dry hopped with Willamette as Cascade was sold out at the local brew stores. I've made this particular kit last summer and while good it was lacking in a bolder hop profile I enjoy so I left the whole leaf hops sit for a week. Unfortunately they didn't really add much forward flavours and only a slight residual aroma and finish. It's still a good beer but I'm ready to move into AG finally. TBH kits are good but they generally have a similar malt base across each style making the dark ale similar to the red, wheat or pale ale.

silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A saison, spiced with orange, ginger root and black pepper..

A vanilla porter..

An american pale ale..

A California Commons..

All made on my Kal clone

Silverspoons
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed all of those this morning Silverspoons? "The best part of waking up is beer in my cup!"
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Saison has some orange (juice) in it.. breakfast..
The porter has a great vanilla, chocolate, coffee flavor.. breakfast..
The APA is.... well good anytime..

and at noon EDT its breakfast time for a California Commons..

Silverspoons
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: