Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

BEER: What are you drinking right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brewmcq

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Well, according to google, the 12oz bottle is 354.882355 ml equivalent... Either way, it's quite the spendy stuff.. right up there with Guinness, Samuel Adams and many of the popular micros here.

Not a penny saved in homebrewing, I agree! It's more than worth the price tag for the freshness alone, a point on which everyone agrees, I'm sure. Smile

Mug
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh stop your whining, mcq! Razz You get a whole wonderful luscious 6 bottles for just $9! At Norwegian prices, a sixer of 12oz bottles would cost $31.
If you want to go to a pub and drink, my local..5 miles away...just a short cycle ride (not!)..sells a pint (500ml, not even a real pint, which is 568ml!) of Guinness for 82 kr, or about $13. Thats $13 for one glass of the black stuff!!! I've been to the states a couple of times, IIRC a pint in a pub is about $5?

But straight question, the Smithwicks you get in bottles, is it carbonated? Normally the Kilnenny here has the "widget" in the can to provide the nitrogen to give the same dense head as the draught (same as guinness). I've tasted it on draught without the nitrogen, and it was just fantastic, like a good real ale! But the place that had it stopped serving iseveral years ago, so now I can only buy the stuff in a can with the nitrogen widget. But it's not so bad Thumbs Up

I've got nitrogen here on my keezer, and two stout faucets so I often serve guinness and smithwicks clones. Lovely stuff!

PS: wish my band practices had some beer on tap! Hope it goes well..post some clips!

brewmcq

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I'll whine if I want. Razz You've got some nutty prices over there, for sure.

We don't have much around here for "establishments".. and because of my job (EMS), if I get pulled over with ANY alcohol in my system, I could lose my license.. so we stay and drink at the home pub... the next logical step was, of course, to start brewing again. Smile

Smithwick's (pronounced "Smitticks") is carbonated, no widgets.

I can't believe we've hijacked another thread.. lol

Band.. we do blues with a hardened rock edge to it.. expanding on what Cream set out to do in the 60's.. one clip online so far: http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_6705419

I'm just not a very good recording engineer.

Door is open at Pub McQ if you ever come over this way. Smile
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your "i ain't drunk" track a lot..I was fishing for more! Very Happy

Thanks for the open invite, appreciated! And of course the same goes here, but just a keezer here, not a well decorated home pub! And with the frighteningly insane prices in norway, I can understand if you prefer to keep well away! ;D Did I mention it costs money to breathe Very Happy Norway, in particular Telemark, is a lovely place, and if you get the opportunity to come to europe, I think you'd enjoy it here.

Hijacking...nah...just a slight diversion! After all it's general beer discussion!

brewmcq

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Mug We're having fun with the tunes, for sure. Playing a big show (well, for around here.. lol) next month with out new bass player... this project is his first foray outside of the Southern Maine metal scene..

I would love to visit Norway. In fact, I have a sort of soft spot in my heart for your country.. I dated a Norwegian foreign exchange student during my senior year of high school.. she was gorgeous... how close to Ostrembakken are you..? Wink

Beer! Looking forward to some tomorrow!
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brewmcq wrote:
Of course Irish Red! Smithwick's is one of our all-time favorite beers, but at $9 a 6-pack, it gets spendy quickly. Smile

I had to bite on this also, sorry mcq, lol. Smithwick's 6 x 330ml is $12.99 here, all 6pks are $12.49 and up no matter the brand, Samuel A. is $14.99. There's no going to Wal-Mart or your local Harris Teeter to get a 30pk of cans for $9.99 on sale, everything is sold and controlled through the NLC. I loved my 2 months in North Carolina, cheap food whether eating out or at the supermarket to get a big thick cut Angus steak or fresh chicken breast; cheap wine and beer. You guys are spoiled. Mr. Green

I guess I brew beer because it's just way cheaper, $0.50 a bottle vs. ~$2.10 and my tastes are usually more expensive.

Right now I'm drinking a home brew Black Rock Miner's Stout. It's alright but I won't be making it again.
View user's photo album (19 photos)
brewmcq

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Teeter? Really? That's a southern chain, thankfully. LOL

And I do feel your pain.. things up here in poor land are more expensive than even 2 hours south (next big "city" from me)... I know I'm spoiled with food prices, but that's all part of being a fat, lazy American. Razz

At least you're drinking HB.. and have a kegerator, even though that one spout is badly off-center.. Wink
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like Harris Teeter? I had perhaps the best made to order sub of my life there, simply fantastic. We usually went to Bloom as it was closer to the extended stay hotel.

I'm pretty much over the whole off centered faucet now. I thought about it and if I decide to put in a stout faucet I'll just put it there and move that one to the end, problem solved! Cool
coffeediver

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in Tennessee for the last couple of days. Unfamiliar with the area so it just easy to buy Coors Light.

Barry

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coffeediver wrote:
I have been in Tennessee for the last couple of days. Unfamiliar with the area so it just easy to buy Coors Light.

Barry

I know it's all up to personal taste but that's one of two beers I can't drink, the other being Bud. I really have to force them down. No grocery store, WalMart or liquor store around anywhere to get something different or not available back home? I'm bad for road trips as I usually fill the car with random beer I've never had before to take home. If I'm flying I usually bring back a few empty bottles to add to my beer wall.
brewmcq

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:
Don't like Harris Teeter? I had perhaps the best made to order sub of my life there, simply fantastic. We usually went to Bloom as it was closer to the extended stay hotel.

I'm pretty much over the whole off centered faucet now. I thought about it and if I decide to put in a stout faucet I'll just put it there and move that one to the end, problem solved! Cool

I just disliked the south in general. Too hot. Too humid. Too many poisonous things... Smile

Ironically, I was thinking that *when* I screw up the spacing on my faucets (and I will, I promise you that.. lol), the errant faucet will be a "special" tap... like for a stout! GMTA Mug

Greg wrote:
coffeediver wrote:
coffeediver wrote:

Barry

I know it's all up to personal taste but that's one of two beers I can't drink, the other being Bud. I really have to force them down. No grocery store, WalMart or liquor store around anywhere to get something different or not available back home? I'm bad for road trips as I usually fill the car with random beer I've never had before to take home. If I'm flying I usually bring back a few empty bottles to add to my beer wall.

Coors Light is the only "crappy" beer I can drink, and only if it's painfully cold. I will actually pass on the Buds and Millers and Michelobs, even if they are free, and opt for hard liquor at that point. There's something about them that gives me the worst hangover in the world, and that's even if I only have two or three.

Fortunately, we never travel too much (I greatly dislike it), so I'm never too far from the local beers I know and love. We're fortunate in Maine to have a number of micros. Sadly, some of them are crap, IMHO, but the top of the pack is definitely Gritty McDuff's (http://www.grittys.com/). Their Best Brown Ale is as advertised... plus the brewpub in Freeport, Maine is built so that you can look through a huge window into the actual brewery. Good times.

Rambling on.. sorry about that.. Very Happy
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a stir fry mood and figured I'd want something with a little bite to go with it to kill the spice so I poured up one of the Hopyard Pale by Garrison Brewing I brought back from Cape Breton, NS last Nov.

*Just noticed this in the beer info:
Quote:
Pairs very well with most hot and spicy dishes of Mexican, Indian, Thai and Cajun cuisine. Excellent with pub food such as nachos and hot wings (with hot sauces).

I guess I made a good choice! LOL.

http://www.garrisonbrewing.com/beer.html

Deep golden, medium bodied & nicely bitter, Hopyard Pale is exceptional in the West Coast style. Generous hopping in the boil & further dry-hopping produce a fruity/floral aroma & refreshingly bitter finish. A true thirst-quencher!

I'm definitely a hop head after drinking these but I can't help but think it could be better. Maybe it's my personal taste but I wouldn't consider it award winning. It's definitely bitter and has a raw hop bold flavor and aroma.

Edit: Had to change a few things, copied the info from the IPA, not the Hopyard I was drinking.

Last edited by Greg on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrison makes some good stuff! I like their unfiltered IPA. Tastes a lot like some of the IPAs I make! Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Garrison makes some good stuff! I like their unfiltered IPA. Tastes a lot like some of the IPAs I make! Wink

Kal

Hehe, it's funny that, how some of the really good commercial beers have a likeness to good homebrew. When me and my SO went to oktoberfest last year, she tasted the beer and said, "mmm! this taskes like the beer you make!" I just wish all of mine came out that way...a bit hit an miss at present...and the juleale was definitely a miss! Very Happy

It's a pity I'm not closer to the US, would love to taste some of these beers!

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I got into home brewing is the crap selection available at our Ontario liquor and beer stores. I keep hearing about all these wonderful beers in the US but barely any of them make it up here. They mostly carry what I call "the lagers of the world": All exactly the same beers but from different countries. (sheesh).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
One of the reasons I got into home brewing is the crap selection available at our Ontario liquor and beer stores. I keep hearing about all these wonderful beers in the US but barely any of them make it up here. They mostly carry what I call "the lagers of the world": All exactly the same beers but from different countries. (sheesh).

Kal

Yep, exactly the same here but it's only been in the last 5 years the NLC has brought in a wider variety of beer. There's a huge demand for it as everyone I know, that's into beer, will go out and buy the latest/greatest brew. I'd like to brew beer to sell at some point, either bottled or on tap at local bars.
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won a case of 3 Floyds "Arctic Panzer Wolf" at a fund raiser this weekend and it rocks. Very nice hop flavor finish. I would clone it if I could. Mug
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am back to drinking my home brew after fighting winter illnesses, drinkng my Munich Helles and my Belgian Tripel
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feurhund, how did the trippel come out? I hear it's hard to downplay the alcohol and blend it with the flavour of the beer. If you are good at belgians, post a recipie - and lots of advice!
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just enjoyed perhaps my best tasting perfectly spiced stir fry yet washed down of course with another Hopyard Pale, delicious!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: