Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

BEER: What are you drinking right now?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: BEER: What are you drinking right now? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Since there's no general beer discussion forum I'll put this here in OT.

What Beer is in your glass now, today or lately?

Right now I'm just finishing a German Bitburger Premium Pils. I bought the 6pk which came with a free glass, just before Christmas. As the reviews said, it pours light yellow with a short lived head and little to no lacing. I was originally put off by the sweet smell and more floral/citrusy/grass like hop aroma as I expected it to be more similar to Beck's. The taste is equal to the aroma along with mild malt and grain but with a lingering resiny bitterness. I'm turning into a hophead I think and this style of beer is certainly addictive. I enjoyed the higher carbonation and crisp finish but it could have done well without the sweetness.

Mug
View user's photo album (19 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished a Munich Helles - brewed by myself of course! Going back for a second pint!

And what you mean "no general beer discussion forum"? Look again! Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL thx Kal.

My subtle way of saying we needed one I guess! Thumbs Up
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems!

Always open to suggestions!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Ash4Hogs

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "Green" IPA brewed from fresh bines! Picked and in the beer in 1 hour!
Turned out to be a Pale Ale, very tasty!

But in all honesty, I'm drinking a bit of the good stuff-- Templeton Rye.

All the best,

Ash
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What am I drinking right now? Nothing...better go fix that!
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished another Bitburger and a local micro-brew STORM Coffee Porter, love this stuff.

'A seasonal ale, brewed using imported black malt and dark roasted mountain grown Arabica coffee beans. STORM Coffee Porter is a roasty, dark, top fermented brew with a subtle coffee aroma and pleasantly mild palate. Available during the winter only.' http://www.stormbrewing.ca/STORM_BREWING_2011/STORM_ALES.html
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Ed's Apfelwine, a weizenbock and a dunkelweizen on tap. Was not sure what to pick, so I blended a Dunkel with Apfel. Quite good.
View user's photo album (12 photos)
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after finishing some BBQ Tandoori Masala chicken, Basmati rice and two Heineken I thought I'd try Budweiser again that a buddy of mine brought over while fulfilling his projector needs until his arrives. There's not much to say about it, it is what it is. Neither fulfilling, satisfying nor making you want to go back for more. It's definitely not easy to drink as it's too bloating. I've always had to force it down, especially after the second bottle.
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gin and tonic at a double tree bar, stuck in LA, red eye back to philly canceled because of snow. wish i was heading home, was going to work on my wiring tomorrow
View user's photo album (12 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just making my way through the keezer. Made a dry stout split batch with english ale yeast and irish ale. I preferred the wyeast english ale yeast which gave a dry beer with clean bitterness. The irish ale came out like a glass of butter popcorn and coffee! I know it's meant to produce a hint of diacetyl, but that was a bucketload! It may have fermented slightly warm, ca 21C (72F?). I also dialed back the amount of roasted barley, since previous batches have been on the bitter side. But I didn't sour the beer. Seems like the irish ale realy needs that. I will add

Dunkelweizen was nice, but better fresh, such was the first half. I made a 10gal batch, and the 2nd half has been in secondary for 8 weeks. Still, at least that bubblegum has disappeared now! (Reminder to self: get some temperature control for fermentation.)

Greg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crush wrote:
The irish ale came out like a glass of butter popcorn and coffee! I know it's meant to produce a hint of diacetyl, but that was a bucketload! It may have fermented slightly warm, ca 21C (72F?).

I'd have to dump it and I have before. I gave up making lagers because of the overly citrusy/yeasty flavors until now as I couldn't regulate the fermentation temperature. You think it will mellow out a bit with more aging?
crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so bad that it needs dumping, but not what I would have chosen given a choice. After posting, I remembered that I didn't sour the beer. (I meant to do it before kegging.) As you probably know, the irish yeast can benefit from some souring to counter some of the sweetness and round out the flavour. In contrast, the english yeast produced a beer dry enough that the hops and roasted malts provided a clean satisfying bitterness, so the beer was fine without souring, but for the Irish needs some sourness to counteract the dyacetyl. I've done this before, both with soured beer and lactic acid. I don't have any soured beer on hand, so it's lactic acid this time, but I can't remember how much to add. I've got 88% solution I think...anyone?
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Souring is new to me as I never had to do it before so I'm of no help on this one.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh found what I was looking for. This recipe http://www.brewery.org/cm3/recs/05_143.html calls for upto 40cc lactic acid. IIRC, I used 10cc in a wit, and that was plenty for my taste. I'll at least start there are see how the beer tastes, and increment as necessary.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I am drinking this (see image under)

I'm surprised how clear it's become, since there was 3l of trub (mostly flour) in the fermentor. Couldn't recirc the mash since the pump was having a no play day, and most of it came through into the fermentor mostly from the separate boil I had to do...it was an unusual brewday.

290120111430 (Small).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.28 KB
 Viewed:  35521 Time(s)

290120111430 (Small).jpg

290120111428 (Small).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.12 KB
 Viewed:  35521 Time(s)

290120111428 (Small).jpg

brewmcq

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing worth repeating... My red ale has only been in the fermenter for a week.

I do have some Silver Bullet (Coors Light) for band practice tomorrow, but will probably be hitting the Tullamore Dew kinda hard instead.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm...Red Ale...Irish? yum! Been a while since I made that. I find it a difficult ale to get just right, since there's not a lot of difference between it being spot on and being bland. It's taste is quite subdued since (at least the recipes I've followed) it's only a little crystal, literally a handful of roasted barley and lightly hopped, but when it comes together in the right balance, it tastes like drought cream! For me a pint usually lasts about 30 seconds, so it doesn't stay around for long!

Let us know how it turns out!

brewmcq

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Irish Red! Smithwick's is one of our all-time favorite beers, but at $9 a 6-pack, it gets spendy quickly. Smile

I used the Morebeer.com AG kit.. the wort tasted splendid, so we're really looking forward to it... in the meanwhile, i am working on crafting my own recipe, which I will, of course, share with my tEB colleagues if/when I get it to the point I want it to be. Smile

And yeah.. it goes down smooooooooooth....
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$9 for a sixer. Is that 330ml bottles or cans? Since it's irish red, I'm guessing "draught" cans. In norway, a single 500ml can of Kilkenny sells for 45 kr or about $7.50. A non-import sells for $5 per 500ml.

I turned to homebrew, so I could tget the beer I like without having to order it through the local liquor store (actually, the government controlled alcohol outlet) and to save some cash. Well, we all know saving cash in homebrew is but a myth! But getting the beer you like, well it's spot on! Mug some of the time... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: