Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Post Fermentation Freezing

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Post Fermentation Freezing Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK i'll be the first to jump in to this thread..

After reading several articles and seeing videos about Brew Dog ( www.brewdog.com ) , that radical scottish brewery with insanely high alcohol levels ( some to 42% ), i decided to experiment.

a little background... Brewdog's brewery is located right next to a commercial ice cream factory and for some reason ( beats me ) they freeze and thaw their beer several times post fermentation and pre-bottling. its said to increase alcohol content.

i started last summer with a simple and very good cream ale recipe. brewed a 5 gal batch, first fermenter for one week, then second fermenter for a second week as usual.. then the fun. when it was time to bottle i split the batch in half, priming and bottling 2 1/2 gallons and sticking it in the basement ( about 68 degrees F).. the other 2 1/2 gallons were split between 3 one gallon jugs ( leaving a little room for expansion) and stuck in the freezer for 5 days.. frozen! then brought out and thawed and returned to room temp for 3 days and repeated this freeze / thaw process 3 times.

after about three weeks, i primed and bottled it and put in the basement with the other half of the batch.. One month later a couple bottles of each were chilled and opened for comparison. (the tasting actually took place at the bar next to my business at a friday afternoon happy hour, for some "professional" opinions. )

first .. the frozen was much cleared and crisp. ( i assume some sort of Lagering took place here). and there was a distinct aroma of alcohol and the beer was much stronger. both were excellent but we ended up with two very different beers from the same batch AFTER fermentation. i'm not sure of the chemistry here, if anyone can lend a suggestion it would be appreciated..

Oh! there a full 5 gallon batch frozen in my garage right now, i knew there would something good about brewing in the winter.
View user's photo album (6 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Fermentation Freezing Reply with quote

silverspoons wrote:
After reading several articles and seeing videos about Brew Dog ( www.brewdog.com ) , that radical scottish brewery with insanely high alcohol levels ( some to 42% ), i decided to experiment.

Just freezing and thawing won't change the alcohol content. Freezing slowly and skimming the frozen ice off *will* since the water freezes first. What you're left with is higher alcohol. This is how lots of places make this crazy-high alcohol beer.

It's called fractional freezing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_freezing

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Freezing Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, i'm familiar with the fractional freezing process and i know that how brewdog gets those crazy levels. in my "experiment though, there was no separation, but clearly two different results in flavor, appearance and aroma..
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I guess I read your post too fast... I thought you said there was more alcohol after freezing/thawing.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I froze my beer by accident this winter. It get's cold here - -20C (-4F) is fairly typical. I left a couple of kegs of beer outside, and they froze. I let them defrost a little, and then poured a pint. It was almost undrinkable - really bitter and quite strong alcohol. I can understand the alcohol, but I wonder why so bitter? When completely thawed, the beer was back to it's old self - a hobgoblin clone.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: different appearance? Reply with quote

crush.. when your beer returned to " normal" did you notice any physical differences? like i said i split a 5 gal batch in half and i had two very different beer.

Last edited by silverspoons on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
crush

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say, since I didn't have two batches to compare, so I don't know how it would have tasted without being frozen, and also it's all of 6 weeks ago, which puts it at the fringes of my recollective abilities Wink The beer aged a bit during/after it's freeze, but then this was kegged fairly early. (Benefits from a good 4 weeks aging in the keg) so it would have probably done this anyway. It was only frozen for a day or so.

From what I remember, there was no drastic change, maybe a little more alcohol warmth. The keg lost pressure, so I had to recarb.

Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting side note. In the United Statesnit is illegal to distill spirits at home. The fractional distilling that is used in making " Ice Beer " is actually considered distilling and holds up to 5 years in prison and a $50,000 fine! Unbelievable.
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: no Really Reply with quote

No Really Sir! i never thought of freezing beer at home...Sir... Honest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: