Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

wiring question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: wiring question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kal, and others,

I noted some discrepancies between the wiring schematics and the pictures provided.

For example, the 120 V buzzer has more wires connected to it on the picture (4) than on the schematic drawing (2).
The same counts for the 120 V blue power light (4 wires versus 2 wires on the picture and drawing, respectively).

Am I overlooking something ?

thanks
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the wires for the interlock
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-safe-start-interlock?page=4
View user's photo album (12 photos)
sjch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for replying.

I had thought about that too but it seems the safe start interlock installation does not bring additional wires to the buzzer and/or lights?
sjch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more clear example with links to illustrate my confusion:

Taken from:
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=7

Take a look at the blue power light:
Schematic drawing: two wires (hot and neutral)
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/images/power.jpg

Closeup picture of the actual power light:
4 wires
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/images/IMG_6700_letters.jpg

Also, on the overview picture, there are clearly 4 wires connected to the blue power light (and no safe interlock installed yet)
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/images/IMG_6681_letters_powerin.jpg
jllewel812

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like those are the hot and neutral that supply the timing and alarm circuit.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. You're not seeing things.

The reason you may see more wires is that instead of wiring all the way back to the NEUTRAL or HOT bus (for example) I'll just connect to something else that wires back. No need to have 10 wires that go all the way back.

The drawings are made to stand alone... so that they don't rely on how everything else may be wired.

So in some of the circuits, devices that need to wire to the HOT and NEUTRAL bus may instead go to the BLUE power light that itself wires back to the HOT and NEUTRAL bus.

I added some text:

Quote:
You may notice what appears to be extra wires in some of the close-up photos when compared to the wiring diagrams. This is normal. For example, in the wiring diagram immediately below the 120V power light connects to the HOT and NEUTRAL bus only (2 wires, one black, one white) but in the photos further below there are 4 wires. This is because other parts that need to be wired to the HOT and NEUTRAL bus later on were wired to the two sides of the 120V power light instead. The result is the same. There's no need to send 10 pairs of wires all the way back to the buses each time.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: