Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

GFCI options

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stolenricecakes

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: GFCI options Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello!

I'm in the process of preparing my space for my build and was weighing the best way to provide GFCI protection for my electrical service. I'm planning a much simpler version of the build detailed on this fantastic site and have determined that my rig will need a 30 amp supply. The least expensive GFCI option that I've found up to this point is a spa panel that comes with a 50 amp GFCI breaker for ~ $50.

I'm planning on having the 50 amp GFCI breaker installed in my main breaker box and installing a regular 30 amp breaker in the spa panel to power the rig. I could then add other breakers to the spa panel if the need ever arose.

Would I be sacrificing any GFCI protection in this type of set up? Would I be better served to just run a circuit with a 30 amp GFCI breaker instead?

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the spa panel includes a 50A GFCI 2-pole breaker? Most GFCI breakers are 2-4 times that much for just the breaker alone.

I found the cheapest (and most convenient) way was to use the cable with built-in GFCI that I used.

It's here: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_CAds=&_ex_kw=&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_nkw=30A+ground+fault+interrupt&_sacat=&_sadis=&_sop=12&_udhi=&_udlo=&_fosrp=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336652980&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

$77 with free shipping.

With it you get the plug and a 17' cord which cost significantly more than the $27 extra you're paying. You also don't get either when you buy a spa breaker panel.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
stolenricecakes

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, thanks for the response - and for the link. I hadn't found a cord like that for anywhere near that price. Sounds like that would be a better option than what I was thinking of.

Just for the record - the spa panel I was referring to can be found here:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100686230/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

When I saw it in the store, I thought it included a 50A 2 pole GFCI breaker - however this page makes me question that a bit... not sure what to make of the wording "...with GFI".

Thanks again![/url]
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it seems *really* cheap. When I looked into it (albeit it was 2+ years ago) a 2-pole GFI breaker was considerably over $100 just for the breaker itself!

Kal

coffeediver

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had bought the spa panel from Home Depot but returned it once the GFCI cord came available again. It does come with a 2-pole breaker in the panel. It also has places to add other breakers in it. It would have been harder to wire up for me and the GFCI cord was much easier to deal with.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give this a read too if you haven't already: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=3

For what it's worth, everyone that uses the same GFI power card that I do keep telling me that it's by far the least expensive solution.

Kal

crush

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find a 230v cable with integrated GFCI, but what I ended up with was quite inexpensive too:

- GFCI/overload protector inside the control panel, $22
- 6' 10/3 cable - $5. (I bought 65' for $55, since the brew area is quite far from the 30A outlet.)
- 30A plug - $10 (from Norway, so it was quite expensive, here they use strange plugs for the 30A outlets.)
- 4" DIN rail, $3

about $40 for all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: