Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Where's the good beer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuttgarter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Where's the good beer? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I had not been in the States for a few years and just got back from a trip to Virginia and Florida. I was amazed at how popular light beer had become. I went to a place and they the only beer they had on tap was Bud Lite, Miller Lite, Natural Ice, Keystone Lite, and Coors Lite. When I asked for a microbrew most seem to be over-hopped (Sam Adams Lager and Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale come to mind). I drank a lot of bad tasting beer because I don't know know the brands or what to order. I have another trip to Virginia coming at the end of May and I'd like to drink a good American lager. Any recommendations on what to order?

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeuling(pronouced Ying-Ling) lager is a popular large brewer beer. You can get that anywhere on the east coast. Most bars only sell BMC(bud,miller, coors), but a lot of bars are starting to sell better beers. DogFishHead is a big. I personally do not like their beers that much, but a lot do. Brooklyn Lager from NYC is good. I bet hard to find on tap, but it is tasty. I also like Ommengang, they are from NYC, but only do belgium styles. The Hennepin is good. If can find a Russian River beer while her, I would try them.

Where in Va are you going. In Alexandria there is a good bar, actually has a bar made of ice, that serves good beer. I can look the name up.

Last edited by milldoggy on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (12 photos)
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for your comment on over hopped beer. I agree, it seems that a lot of Am brewers think good beer is just putting as much hops in as possible. I cant stand it. I am not a hop head. I have never made an ipa in my 3+ years of brewing and I do not see myself making one in the future.
View user's photo album (12 photos)
emjay

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, love my hops. And the reason American brewers seem to love it is that a lot of North American craft beer drinkers love hops too, so it sells.

But from what I've seen, Florida and Virginia aren't states that are particularly big on craft beer... and yes, most North Americans love their light beer and don't drink anything else. So you really have to know the right bars/pubs/restaurants to go to if you want a good selection of beer other than that tasteless fizzy water, because most places ONLY serve that stuff.

But tastes do differ. When I was in Germany, I largely was asking myself the same question! But Belgium was absolutely fantastic, and even the few times I've been to Britain I really enjoyed the stuff.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the light fizzy beer really that bad? I bought a sixer of Corona Export a couple of weeks ago, since a friend of mine wanted me to brew that. In other forums, Corona has had quite a bashing, with critics purporting that an authentic clone recipe should include a significant percentage of urine. But I can honestly say that I enjoyed the beer. Crisp, assertive hop bitterness and a earthy aroma. Not a lot of malt though, but maybe that's exactly why I enjoyed it, as a change to the malty beers I brew myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: