Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

discussion on belgium whit

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boogie-D

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: discussion on belgium whit Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just finish off a keg of the best belgium whit beer i ever made.. it was so good i got greedy with it and drank most of it for my self.. i like belgium whit beers but there a a few things that always throw me off..

1) to much orange peel
2) to much coriander
3) not enough hops
4) not properly balanced

in this last batch i addressed these issues.. i cut back on the orange and coriander and used healthy amount of northern brewer hops.. in the end it was one of the best beers i have ever made.. very well balanced between flavors.. visitors just fresh back from belgium and germany said my whit beer rivaled anything they tasted over their.. hey sometimes i even surprise my self.. its one of those moments where you sit back admiring your beer and say,, "I made that!!!".... it was a beautiful oarangish colored beer.. with great head retention and awesome flavor.. i hope i can duplicate it.. i am terrible at keeping brewer notes.. it is wat it is...

what do you like and dislike about belgium whits??? got any tips or ingrediants you like..

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see the recipe!
Boogie-D

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: my easy LME recipe Reply with quote

the recipe i used is pretty basic and an LME based beer but taste really good. i triple the amount of oarnge and corrinader than the orinal recipes calls for...and i add 2 ounces of northern brewer, and an extra 1/2 of saaz to the original hop program

Grains: 1 pound of wheat, 1 pound of crytal 10 in grain bag, heat to 160, seap for 1 hour. remove

LME: 6 1/2 pound wheat stir in LME and bring to raging boil for 90 mintues

Hops: 1 oz. czech saaz and 1 oz. northern brewer begining of boil,
2 oz. finly ground corriander seed at 15 minutes
2 oz. very ripe kona orange peel shredded at 15 minutes
1 oz. czech saaz at 5 minutes
1 oz northern brewer at 5 minutes

Yeast: 2 packages of muntons yeast

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boogie-D,

First suggestion is to change the yeast and use an active Belgian Witbier strain. I have used Wyeast 3944 and WLP400 both with good success. I prefer the spicy phenolics of the 3944 though. Try a batch using each strain and determine your own favorite.,either one will make a nice product. I have found that these strains at higher fermentation temps will produce more esters where a cooler fermentation will produce more phenolics (high is 70-80F and low is in the 60's).

There are a couple points to consider in this formulation. By my calculations it looks pretty strong to fit the "true" Witbier style, I have it at 1.070 OG where the max for style is 1.055. But let's not let that be an issue... Smile I would suggest cutting back on the crystal malt a bit, you are at 12%. The hop schedule looks good as does the coriander and orange peel additions.

It's difficult to comment on a recipe without an evaluation sample (hint). Thanks for sharing and good luck!

crush

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone sour their wit? I did once with a touch of lactic acid (I forget the quantity, but it was conservative.). Most of my male friends hated it, while my femaie friends liked it, saying the beer was like wine.

I enjoy wit, but I find that it doesn't stay fresh for long. Has to be drank within 4-6 weeks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: