Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

50A 240V panel, GFCI keeps tripping

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkrabbit

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: 50A 240V panel, GFCI keeps tripping Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have the 50A 240V back to back panel and recently got a GFCI installed which keeps tripping.

We moved here 2 yrs ago, before that in my last house I had a GFCI breaker and had no issues at all.

When my brewery was built here at the new house, they didn't have a 50A 240V GFCI breaker so they installed a normal one, again no issues running anything.

The electrician came in with the new GFCI breaker and wired it in, now my panel won't turn on. As soon as I turn the key the breaker trips.

I've disconnected everything from the control panel, still trips.

I've checked the breaker box and the pigtail is in the neutral bar, the neutral wall wire is in the breaker.

I've pulled the wall outlet and tightened all the connections.

I am running out of ideas here. If I put the non-GFCI back in it might work but that doesn't seem terribly safe now.

Could it be a bad GFCI breaker? The test button works, but not sure how reliable that is?

Only thing I can think of now is to pull the breaker from the panel and reseat it, as well as check the neutral connections and ensure they are tight.

-J
darkrabbit

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I will check yet, as I just read someone else with this issue, is to make sure the wall outlet ground and neutral haven't been swapped.

I just tightened connections, I didn't check the orientation.

-J
darkrabbit

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy sh*t... the electrician who wired the GFCI breaker in crossed the neutral with our geothermal unit. The geo unit neutral was wired to the brewery GFCI, and the brewery cpl neutral was wired to the bus bar. The hots were wired correctly at least. I don't even know how that happened.

This is why I do my own work.

Anyway problem solved.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you solved it! Unfortunately mis-wired GFCI breakers are fairly common. I get emails about this all the time including ones installed by electricians. The good news is that it’s an easy fix and the breaker tripping when mis-wired is a good thing: it’s safe.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: