Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Weizen / Weissbier
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Great Tom! Glad to hear it worked out!

I haven't made this one in ages... maybe it's time! Smile

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
tomcolt

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,
Yea it's definately time to brew it again, especially since summer is coming.

I brought a keg of this to a party over this past weekend and about 2.5 gallons was consumed. It was a big hit.

On a side note:
When Comparing this next to a bottle of Weihenstephaner, it's pretty close but somehow the commercial example has some amazing yeast fragrance.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomcolt wrote:
When Comparing this next to a bottle of Weihenstephaner, it's pretty close but somehow the commercial example has some amazing yeast fragrance.

That's interesting, because I find I prefer mine over the commercial version. I find mine is much fresher tasting. At the end of the day the recipe only tells part of the story. Process is important too. Cheers!

Kal

BrewLoftDK

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Newbie Question Reply with quote

Hi Kal,
I've brewed 4 or 5 of your recipes on my clone of your setup now, all with fabulous success so far! I have this weissbier in the fermenter, doing a lovely job of bubbling away. My question is, do I need to transfer this one to the carboys/brite tanks like with the pale ale and NEIPA etc. or can I go straight from fermenter to keg?
Thanks, as always, for sharing your skills, knowledge and experience! Mug
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Question Reply with quote

BrewLoftDK wrote:
Hi Kal,
I've brewed 4 or 5 of your recipes on my clone of your setup now, all with fabulous success so far! I have this weissbier in the fermenter, doing a lovely job of bubbling away. My question is, do I need to transfer this one to the carboys/brite tanks like with the pale ale and NEIPA etc. or can I go straight from fermenter to keg?

Glad to hear that the beers are turning out great and you're enjoying them! For this beer go straight to kegs or bottles. No finings prior to packaging, no brite tank/carboys. Cheers!

Kal

BrewLoftDK

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Question Reply with quote

kal wrote:
BrewLoftDK wrote:
Hi Kal,

Glad to hear that the beers are turning out great and you're enjoying them! For this beer go straight to kegs or bottles. No finings prior to packaging, no brite tank/carboys. Cheers!

Kal

Perfect! Thank you Very Happy
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Question Reply with quote

kal wrote:
BrewLoftDK wrote:
Hi Kal,

Kal

Kal, Having successfully brewed your Belgian Wit, I am about to brew this one. What about crash cooling? Is it usually done with this style of beer? I was thinking a couple of days crash cooling could remove some of the excessive yeast, but still leave sufficient flavour and cloudiness.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure - you can do that. You'll be doing that anyway when you chill. There will certainly be enough in suspension even with a crash chill before bottling/kegging.

Kal

Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just brewed a fresh batch.. Only real change from last was I am using RO water now, so I am matching the recommended water profile vs having to guess what the city is sending this month.

As before, it went from 1.045 to 1.012 in about 3 days.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site. One thing I've changed is to alter the grain bill to be 50/50 (instead of 60/40) wheat/pilsner as I find I enjoy it more.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/weizen-weissbier

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing some experimenting with doing a short ferulic acid rest at 113F, I've changed up the mash schedule slighly to include this in the recipe. A short (15 mins) ferulic rest at 113F helps promote clove-like phenol flavours, usually done by German weizen brewers.

Kal

Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to brew this on Sunday. To build up to the water profile I'll be using Gypsum, Calcium Chloride, Epsom Salt and some lactic acid to bring the mash ph down to the right level. I see you target 5.7-5.8 for the fuelic rest by leaving out some of the salts. So do you hold off everything for water additionas and add once you start moving towards the 152F rest?

Based on Bru'n Water, the grains alone (Pilsner and Wheat) suggest a mash ph of 5.98 if I don't add anything. Maybe add a little lactic to bring it down to 5.7-5.8, or am I over thinking this?

Also, what ph do you target once all your salts/acids are added?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Walts Malt wrote:
I'm going to brew this on Sunday. To build up to the water profile I'll be using Gypsum, Calcium Chloride, Epsom Salt and some lactic acid to bring the mash ph down to the right level. I see you target 5.7-5.8 for the fuelic rest by leaving out some of the salts. So do you hold off everything for water additionas and add once you start moving towards the 152F rest?

Correct. I do not add the mash salts or acid until after the ferulic rest is done. From the notes/process:

Quote:
Start the mash at 113F and hold for 15 mins (this ferulic acid rest which helps promote the creation of 4-vinyl guaiacol which has clove-like phenol flavours the style is known for). This rest works best at a pH of 5.7-5.8 (relative to mash temperature) so if you add mash salts and acid you want to wait and do it after the ferulic acid rest.

Note that I changed the mash temp to 154F. It was 152F before I started doing a ferulic acid rest. First time I added that ferulic acid rest and then ramped up to 152F, the beer came out slightly attenuated more than before, so I adjusted the process slightly.

Quote:
Based on Bru'n Water, the grains alone (Pilsner and Wheat) suggest a mash ph of 5.98 if I don't add anything. Maybe add a little lactic to bring it down to 5.7-5.8, or am I over thinking this?

I would ignore any pH estimators and actually measure the pH. If it's way too high, you can certainly add some lactic. Though that said, it takes a good 10 mins for things to stabilize before you take a pH reading and that ferulic acid rest is really short. You're probably overthinking - For this first time I would just skip the lactic, and at the end of the 15 mins measure the pH if you want so that you know for next time if you do decide to add some lactic.

Quote:
Also, what ph do you target once all your salts/acids are added?

5.2 - 5.4 (when measured in the mash temperature range of somewhere around 145-165F).

See STEP 5: MASH from my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/brew-day-step-by-step#STEP_5_Mash

Enjoy the brew day!

Kal

Enigma9944

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

I'm trying something a little different here. As it's the middle of summer here in Australia, and ground water is at 31c (88F) I'm going to try the Aussie method of the no chill cube. As there are no late editions, I've backed off the 60 minute addition just a little too achieve the same IBU. Interesting to see how it goes. It's my first no chill brew
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enigma9944 wrote:
I'm going to try the Aussie method of the no chill cube. As there are no late editions, I've backed off the 60 minute addition just a little too achieve the same IBU.

There's only one 60 min hop addition in this recipe. Boiling (or steeping in your case) longer than 60 isn't going to bring out a noticeable bitterness difference. I wouldn't bother changing the amount.

Kal

Enigma9944

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I included in Beer Smith a 2 hour whirlpool at 90c (194f) just to capture the extended isomerisation, but this only changed the IBUs from 13 to 13.3, which supports your chart. I basically backed off the hop addition just under 2g
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can taste a 0.3 IBU change in a beer you've got better tastebuds than me! Wink

Kal

Enigma9944

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed this one over the weekend. Missed OG big time. Aiming at 1050, came in at 1036. Mash went well, maybe too well, the water was running through the grain bed without any obstruction, running at almost 100% flow from the recirculation. . It wasn't until the end of the mash I had a little bit of wort sitting on the grain bed. I used rice hulls, maybe I didn't need them. Oh, it was brewed in a Brewzilla all in one. Not too upset as it came through as a 3.5% session Weissbier, but more interested in nailing the process
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flowing fast during the mash when you're recirculating is 100% what you want. It helps get water into every crack/crevice to turn the starches into sugars and keeps the mash temp where you want it (and ramps faster).

I believe you're using an all-in-one setup? What sort of sparge are you doing? What sort of mash efficiency (%) do you normally get? Don't use my recommend 95% mash efficiency as all-on-ones (single vessel) setups are typically a lot less efficient than my Electric Brewery 3-vessel design so you'll likely need to use 50% more grain (give or take) to hit the same target gravity.

If your pre-boil gravity's a lot lower and you're going to run with it, I'd recommend decreasing the IBUs as well to keep the GU:BU (gravity units to bitterness units) the same. You can also sometimes boil longer or shorter to compensate. I.e. If your pre-boil's just slightly low, boil a few mins longer to compensate.

Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: