Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

How to transfer from bucket fermenter to keg/carboy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piertous

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: How to transfer from bucket fermenter to keg/carboy Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I asked because I'm planning to have wine fridg like Kal, but they will be sitting on the floor so I can't use gravity to transfer. Do you pressurised the buckets ? Thanks
Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a racking cane with clear hose with a hose clamp. I'd put the racking cane in the carboy then clamp the hose and put sanitizer or tap water in the hose to the clamp and then drain the first bit of beer to a cup to get it started, clamp it and then put the hose in the keg and unclamp it.... and then I discovered the stainless steel brew buckets with the drain on the bottom but used the racking cane for years with no issues.
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking you cannot pressurize buckets. You will need to lift the bucket up and transfer by gravity.

(Jerz mentioned putting a racking cane in a carboy, but you're not racking from carboys. You're racking to carboys.)

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
piertous

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, so I understand that your lifting your bucket. I can't since I have 14 G brewbuckets, I'm trying to find what others with similar sizes are doing if they are in a fridge on the floor. Of course I can have the option of putting the fridg on a shelf but I'm already lacking shelf spaces.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I don't use buckets (usually), but if I was then yes, you need to gravity feed buckets. Most buckets do not provide good seals or ways to pressurize them so pressurized transfers are not obvious or easy. Most people using carboys or buckets will lift them and gravity feed.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: