Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Control panel with discrete PIDs vs. computer/automation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
jgalak wrote:
I keep waffling on automation or not. So many pros and cons both ways. So here's a thought: the automation setup I'm mostly likely to use (Raspberry Pi running Strangebrew Elsinore) uses the same kind of solid state relays as TEB. I'm thinking about reusing the SSR to allow both - build a TEB back-to-back panel, but add a DPDT switch between the PID output and the SSR input. One side of the switch runs the panel in PID mode, the other stunts the SSR inputs to an external controller. (I'm not concerned about pumps at this time.)

Why built a panel that works both ways? When would you use one vs the other?

Quote:
I'm assuming the industrial style switches used in TEB can be had in a DPDT configuration?

Anything's possible by stacking contactors. Industrial style switches work a bit differently. I explain it here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-1?page=9

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jgalak

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
jgalak wrote:
I keep waffling on automation or not. So many pros and cons both ways. So here's a thought: the automation setup I'm mostly likely to use (Raspberry Pi running Strangebrew Elsinore) uses the same kind of solid state relays as TEB. I'm thinking about reusing the SSR to allow both - build a TEB back-to-back panel, but add a DPDT switch between the PID output and the SSR input. One side of the switch runs the panel in PID mode, the other stunts the SSR inputs to an external controller. (I'm not concerned about pumps at this time.)

Why built a panel that works both ways? When would you use one vs the other?

I'm a fairly new brewer, and have never done all-grain before. PID control seems like a much better option for a beginner to learn the processes, the equipment, etc. So my plan is to start with your standard setup.

But I'm also a gadget and electronics geek, so homebrewing an automated controller appeals to me. As you've said, many people who go the all-automation route take forever to complete it, and while I enjoy tinkering, I also want to be brewing.

My idea lets me flip a switch between "this works, let's make beer" and "I'm developing, no idea if this works, but I'm enjoying the tinkering" modes. Smile

Quote:

Quote:
I'm assuming the industrial style switches used in TEB can be had in a DPDT configuration?

Anything's possible by stacking contactors. Industrial style switches work a bit differently. I explain it here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-1?page=9

Thanks, totally new to these types of controls.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgalak wrote:
My idea lets me flip a switch between "this works, let's make beer" and "I'm developing, no idea if this works, but I'm enjoying the tinkering" modes. Smile

Sure - nothing wrong with that. While it would depend completely on how you implement it (there's no black and white answer) I don't see why you couldn't control the high powered circuitry in the panel (SSRs, relays, receptacles, etc) with PID or something else and allow you to choose which method if you want to tinker.

Quote:
Thanks, totally new to these types of controls.

I knew 'regular' electronics switch nomenclature too first (terms like DPDT, SPST, etc) so I figured I'd include explanations in the instructions for those that may have been in the same boat...

Good luck!

Kal

tope472

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also could not decide on one or the other so I built both. I use the BCS for the most part to make beer. I really like the "leaving work, start strike water" capabilities. The PID's give me a lot of flexibility while in the act of brewing, or just heating water for cleaning, step mashes. Really anything besides a single infusion mash is to complicated and cumber some for the BCS to program every time. But it does that really well. Like flip valves, push button, take nap well.

WP_20160903_21_22_20.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  139.25 KB
 Viewed:  12922 Time(s)

WP_20160903_21_22_20.jpg

barney the bear

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the times they are a-changin'

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1056

With these PID:s you can nowadays choose if you want to use your controlpanel "the old fashion way" or remotely with a handhold computer called "smartphone".
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barney the bear wrote:
With these PID:s you can nowadays choose if you want to use your controlpanel "the old fashion way" or remotely with a handhold computer called "smartphone".

Certainly lots of options available!

I would not want any sort of remote control for the safety reasons I outline here:
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/control-panel-with-discrete-pids-vs-computer-automation#Remote_control_monitoring

I think it's inherently dangerous. Safety / security issues aside, after ~14 years of using this panel I don't see why I'd want or need that, but to each their own!

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the note stating that the AW-SYL-2352 does not have the ramp soak feature. Is that a feature we configure and use in the standard PID?
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphakry wrote:
I noticed the note stating that the AW-SYL-2352 does not have the ramp soak feature. Is that a feature we configure and use in the standard PID?

Nope.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: