Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Troubleshoot: PIDS (all 3) stopped working.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dgoforth

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Troubleshoot: PIDS (all 3) stopped working. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I’ve been using my controller for several years with no problems. Today I turned it on and none of the PIDS are working (they are all blank - see photo). Any suggestions on where to start for trouble shooting? I tried a search but a lot of unrelated stuff showed up.

33F118B5-FCC5-43B3-9E43-942E3B9D1A48.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.54 KB
 Viewed:  2749 Time(s)

33F118B5-FCC5-43B3-9E43-942E3B9D1A48.jpeg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

The PIDs are likely fine as all 3 failing at the exact same time is not possible. For some reason power is no longer getting to them, but power is still getting into the panel as other things are lit. (The PIDs use the same 120V as the timer, blue power light, and the meters).

Looking up the email attached to your user name I see that this was one of our 30A control panel kits (for North America) that you ordered back in 2015 and then assembled yourself. I would double check all wiring for any loose connections. You had a burnt up SSR back in 2018 which we troubleshooted to likely a loose connection so suspect it's something similar here. Make sure all wire connections are tight and that you haven't cut any of the strands, and/or made a poor crimp that has come loose over time. While you don't likely have issues with anything melting this time as PIDs are very low current devices, make sure to read the 4 reasons/hints here that deal with poor wiring connections:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/control-panel-troubleshooting#A_wire_or_part_looks_like_its_burnt_or_melting

To know where the poor connection / break is, you can use a voltmeter to trace back from PIDs the HOT and NEUTRAL buses to see where the 120V starts to appear. That's your problem point. It's likely to be a bad crimp/connection.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Dgoforth

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding, Kal. Im at a total loss. I traced all HOTS and Neutrals back to the buses for all three PIDs and saw continuity across the board. Plus it looks like the timer jumps it’s HOT from the PIDs is is working fine so that should be confirmation that the hot is fine (I think). I’ve also checked every wire for good crimp, right connection points and to make sure there is no melting. What I haven’t checked yet is the low voltage wires (super thin ones). Could they be contributing?

Side note - you keep great records.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You measured 120V AC across the PID power connections (screws 9 and 10) on all PIDs?

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dgoforth

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hadn’t before but just did after you asked. All three are showing around 122V AC. Im attaching a picture of the last one in the series.

9A8B4248-B306-489B-AE34-34470E8DDC08.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.25 KB
 Viewed:  2725 Time(s)

9A8B4248-B306-489B-AE34-34470E8DDC08.jpeg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So all 3 PIDs have around 120V AC measured across screw connection points 9 and 10 and they're not turning on?

That is odd. I would disconnect all other items from one of the PIDs such that it's only connected to 120V AC power in connections points 9 and 10 and see what happens.

Sometimes a PID will die of course, but yours are not very old and 3 going at the same time is a statistical impossibility.

Kal

Dgoforth

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the help. I did as you suggested and isolated to just the power leads and it didn’t make a difference. Though improbable, all I can think is that there may have been a surge during the last use - though the breaker or the fuse should have protected it. I went ahead and ordered one replacement from your site to see if that works. If so, I’ll order two more from you.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a reasonable plan! I would be very surprised that something took out the 3 PIDs (and nothing else) but replacing one is a good way to test. Let us know how it goes.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: