Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Pale Ale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I haven't (at least I don't think I have), but it should be tasty!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
champ

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have brewed this twice. Once as Kai suggested including his water profile. CL 50/SO4 275. Took me a while to get used to as I'm not a hoppy guy, or so I thought. I wanted to see if this water thing was the real deal so the second brew was same recipe but CL200/SO4 100. Water makes a difference. Second brew smother and more to my liking right off. Have to say over time the first brew mellowed out and was similar to the second. I would go either way as this is definitely a have on tap at all times brew. Thank you Kai.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! Glad you're enjoying the recipe!

Your second way with higher Cl and lower SO4 is what I do with my Electric Hop Candy NEIPA (as well as the Junior version). It's a common way to brew New England IPAs which tend to have a softer, less harsh or sharp bitterness to them.

If you like this beer with Cl:S04 as 200:100, try my Electric Hop Candy Jr: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31050

Cheers!

Kal

potasken

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

Thanks for all you do. I brewed your Pale Ale and placed second place in the American Pale Ale category of the Michigan Beer Cup this last weekend.

Cheers!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potasken wrote:
Kal,

Thanks for all you do. I brewed your Pale Ale and placed second place in the American Pale Ale category of the Michigan Beer Cup this last weekend.

Cheers!

That’s fantastic! Congrats on the win!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/electric-pale-ale

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

AM

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, for this beauty, i cant get any crystal malt 40L whereI live. What do you reckon to be the most suitable substitute with Weyermann malts? Do i need to change the composition percentages as well?

Many thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM wrote:
Guys, for this beauty, i cant get any crystal malt 40L whereI live. What do you reckon to be the most suitable substitute with Weyermann malts? Do i need to change the composition percentages as well?

Crystal Malt 40L is the generic term. Any crystal malt around 40L will "work". Weyermann has some like Caramunich I (30.6-38.2L) or Caramunich II (41.9-49.5).

I purposely do not list a specific maltster as I don't think with the amounts and how it's used that it's going to make a huge difference, and I will use different onces myself depending on what I have on hand.

Different crystal malts of the same lovibond may give you slightly different flavours. Depends on the malster, depends on the recipe and how it's used. Try a few and see which you prefer, but I don't think in this case it's going to make a huge difference as I mentioned above.

Cheers!

Kal

AM

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
AM wrote:

Crystal Malt 40L is the generic term. Any crystal malt around 40L will "work". Weyermann has some like Caramunich I (30.6-38.2L) or Caramunich II (41.9-49.5).

I purposely do not list a specific maltster as I don't think with the amounts and how it's used that it's going to make a huge difference, and I will use different onces myself depending on what I have on hand.

Different crystal malts of the same lovibond may give you slightly different flavours. Depends on the malster, depends on the recipe and how it's used. Try a few and see which you prefer, but I don't think in this case it's going to make a huge difference as I mentioned above.

Cheers!

Kal

Sounds good! Thanks Kal!
AM

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on this: hit all my numbers and smells beautiful.

I am left with an afditional 2 oz of Amarillo.

Do you reckon it will go well to dry hop in addition to the 2 oz of citra on the recipe??

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM wrote:
I am left with an afditional 2 oz of Amarillo. Do you reckon it will go well to dry hop in addition to the 2 oz of citra on the recipe??

While you can certainly add it, Citra's pretty potent. I'd probably save the Amarillo for another batch. But that's just me. Adding it will certainly "work". (There's no right or wrong answer). Enjoy!

Kal

AM

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I will give it a shot! Thanks Kal!
Enigma9944

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal. Love your website, and am going to give this beer a go this weekend. I've scaled the recipe back to around 3 gallon, but the hop additions seem really small. Around 1/3 Oz of each, I've loaded up the dry hop charge to 2 Oz. Beer Smith doesn't let me do a flameout addition, so was going to do a hopstand/whirlpool addition at 176 degrees for 10 minutes Can you see any issues with any of this?
Thanks again
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enigma9944 wrote:
Hi Kal. Love your website, and am going to give this beer a go this weekend. I've scaled the recipe back to around 3 gallon, but the hop additions seem really small. Around 1/3 Oz of each, I've loaded up the dry hop charge to 2 Oz. Beer Smith doesn't let me do a flameout addition, so was going to do a hopstand/whirlpool addition at 176 degrees for 10 minutes Can you see any issues with any of this?

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Feel free to scale any way you like and if done correctly the scaling should be correct. Remember this is "only" a pale ale so the hop charges will be lower than an say an IPA. Going from my 10 gallon recipe to 3 gallons does indeed mean that 1 oz will be 0.3 oz. That's to be expected.

All brewing software should allow you to do a 0 min (flameout) addition as that's something that's been done for a very long time. It's not a new thing. A lower temp hopstand is much newer, so I'm sure Beer Smith does 0 min (flameout) additions too. I would check again. That said, feel free to drop the temp and do an addition at lower temp if you like. You ask if I see any issues but there's no right or wrong answers to this. It's simply different. Try it both ways, see what you prefer.

Cheers!

Kal

Enigma9944

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, she's sitting in the fermenter, bubbling away for Christmas. I made a bit of an error, misreading the post boll batch size instead of the pre boil, so topped up with about a third of a gallon of water. Will come in around 4.5%, still meeting BJCP guidelines, just a bit more sesionable. Probably for the best on Christmas Day.
I'm fermenting under pressure, at the recommended temp. Has anyone done this under pressure? I know it can suppress some of the esters, but also maybe retain some of the hop flavours. I'll try again in the new year without dilution and not under pressure

Thanks all and excited to taste this
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy and let us know how it turns out!

Kal

dmaxweb1

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed this beer 2 days ago. It's fermenting away and smells wonderful. My dilemma is I just realized I don't have any Citra for dry hopping. Looking for a recommendation which if any, or combination to substitute for the Citra dry hop.

My current hop variety inventory is:
Centennial
Amarillo
Mosaic
Azacca
Belma
Chinook
Idaho 7
Liberty
Tettnanger
Hallertau
Saaz
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmaxweb1 wrote:
I brewed this beer 2 days ago. It's fermenting away and smells wonderful. My dilemma is I just realized I don't have any Citra for dry hopping. Looking for a recommendation which if any, or combination to substitute for the Citra dry hop.

My current hop variety inventory is:
Centennial
Amarillo
Mosaic
Azacca
Belma
Chinook
Idaho 7
Liberty
Tettnanger
Hallertau
Saaz

You can use any hop you like, based on what flavours you like. Completely up to you. Look up what flavours the hops you have bring to the table and choose which you'd prefer. That said, I'd probably stick to one of the first 7 on the list as they're 'new world' and more in line with the beer in question. The last 4 are more 'noble' and won't have the fruitiness/citrus/etc that the others do.

Citra is very unique so none of these will be a substitute, but will still make a great beer.

Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9
Jump to: