Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Budget. Brew Doule Decoction

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomdolly

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Budget. Brew Doule Decoction Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi. I've purchased an all grain kit to have a go at brewing a Budweiser Budvar line. The full recipe and method are here:
[url] https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/brew-with-us-budvar-czech-lager/?fbclid=IwAR3xo8ZsslvCxwJgVX7Iofh8Qx3eyT8iN9nfblJvFGrBoqOFpPCc628wpEE[/url]
Is this possible using my electric brewery set up? Want suggestions or do I need to do a simplified work round and Engle decoction?

The method relating to the double decoction is:
First Decoction – Grain Split 50/50 between G40 and kettle

G40 – 18L – steps programmed – 38c for 15min, 65c for 15min, 75c for 20min, 99c for 20 min
Kettle – 12L – 38c for 20 min, then raise to 50c and remain there.
Sparge – 10L – not used yet

Once the steps are completed empty the kettle into your largest vessel, in our case it’s the G40, this will aid reducing the temperature of the boiled grain to 65c, if it doesn’t achieve 65c then use your chiller to bring it down quickly.

Allow the mash to rest at 65c for roughly 20-30 minutes.

Second Decoction – split the volume between both vessels, ensuring the G40 has enough liquid, the sight glass can help with this. Below are our rough volumes along with the next steps for the 2nd decoction.

G40 – 15L – steps programmed – 75c for 10min, 99c for 20min
Kettle (25L) – 15L – 65c for 30 min
Sparge – 10L – not used yet – heat to 75c

Once the steps are completed you then add the kettle mash back into the G40, this should help equlise the temperature at around 75c. Stir and complete rest for 10 minutes.
Once rest step completed lift basket and sparge with the remaining 10L of water at 75c as G40 raises temp to 98c to prepare for boil, then proceed with the 90 minute boil adding the hops as per timings.[/url]
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget. Brew Doule Decoction Reply with quote

Tomdolly wrote:
Is this possible using my electric brewery set up?

All beers are possible with our Electric Brewery. You will need a second vessel for decoction however, just like any setup (as per the instructions).

If you want to skip all the work of a double decoction, I'd suggest my Czech premium pale lager process as documented here:
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/czech-premium-pale-lager

Like many brewers I've never bothered with decoction (let alone a double decoction) and have always loved the results, but completely up to you.

Happy brewing!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: