Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Russian Imperial Stout (Bourbon barrel aged)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,
Has anyone ever used corny kegs as brite tanks?
Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickey wrote:
Has anyone ever used corny kegs as brite tanks?

No reason why you can't! Technically I sort of it in the sense that 99% of the beers go from fermenter to keg (only difference is that unlike a brite, the beer stays in the keg).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
nickey

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wanting to add oak to my batch of RIS. I have plenty of white oak here that I use for smoking. Was wondering if I could just toast/smoke the oak cubes the next time I smoke rather than use the oven. The cubes would take on the smoke but I'm thinking that may not be a bad thing. Has anyone done anything similar to this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly oak/smoke any way you like. It's very much a personal preference thing. That said, most oak used in beer isn't smoked, but toasted. It doesn't impart a smokey flavour to beer, but a toasted oak flavour. That doesn't mean you can't do that of course. Though I doubt smoking a few ounces of oak and then soaking in beer will impart much of a smoke flavour. YMMV! Have fun!

Kal

nickey

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

I am planning to bottle half of this batch. I also hope to be able to set some back for as long as it can last. My question is there a possibility the exposure to oxygen when bottling (I use a bottling bucket) affect the beer over the long term?

If so, how do you overcome it?

Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickey wrote:
My question is there a possibility the exposure to oxygen when bottling (I use a bottling bucket) affect the beer over the long term?

Yes

nickey wrote:
If so, how do you overcome it?

Don’t expose your beer to O2. Wink

If you still want to bottle, do so directly from a vessel that is completely sealed without O2 exposure, has the beer precarbed, and use a counterflow bottle filler that purges bottles with CO2 first.

You can't bottle from an open bucket and expect zero O2 exposure. It just isn't possible. You can't cheat physics.

Kal

nickey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have read the recipe but still have to ask, wouldn't you grind the roasted barley down like it is mentioned in the Dry Irish Stout recipe?

Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickey wrote:
I have read the recipe but still have to ask, wouldn't you grind the roasted barley down like it is mentioned in the Dry Irish Stout recipe?

You can, but there's x4 as much in the Dry Irish Stout recipe, and the goals of that recipe are different (you're looking for a very smooth and quaffable beer). Try it both ways, see if you have a preference. Cheers!

Kal

nickey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

I need to ask about yeast. I had planned on using 6-11.5 gram packs of Safale US-05. The recommended amount was 60 grams. Just checking with the brewer's friend pitch rate calculator and it tells me I need a total of 1350 billion cells.
I am using an average of 10 billion per gram and the "Pro Brewer 1.25 pitch rate"

Am I wrong on this?

Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my MAKING A YEAST STARTER guide: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/making-a-yeast-starter

This bolded text about dry yeast from the red warning box is relevant:

Quote:
Yeast pitch rates and starter sizes are controversial. Do what works for you, but the steps below are what we feel over the years has helped us produce extremely consistent beer with excellent quality when using liquid yeast, especially for clean tasting lagers where most yeast derived flavours are out of place.

When brewing with dry yeast (we only use Safale US-05 and Saflager W-34/70) we do not make starters but instead simply pitch the amounts listed in our recipes as dry yeast is considerably less expensive and has a much longer shelf life compared to liquid yeast. We also find that the amount of dry yeast recommended by the calculator below to be excessive. We recommend sticking to the amounts of dry yeast listed in our recipes as they've always produced excellent results.

You can of course follow the online calculator for dry yeast too if you like, completely up to you, but all of the attenuation numbers and results I post in my recipes with dry yeast are based on the amounts I use/recommend.

Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: