Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Browned Control Panel Cable Locking Connector - Need Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: Browned Control Panel Cable Locking Connector - Need Help Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Cause for concern? Brewed 27th electric brew today, Saturday, September 3, 2022 since building my electric brewery. When I was cleaning up, unplugging the 240V connector plug from the control panel (240V power in) was difficult. Normally, it’s an easy twist and pull. I finally managed to unplug the 240V connector plug from the control panel. Curious, I looked at the connector plug end and notice what appears as browning (burning?) mark.

Unsure if this happened today or during another brew session. Opening the control panel (yes, the control panel is now unplugged from the 240V wall receptable), I didn’t smell anything burning, no plastic burning smell, etc.

Checked the 240V receptacle (240V power in) inside the control panel. All wires are tight. Nothing loose. The browned outlet area in the cable connector plug connects to the black wire in the control panel receptacle.

I did notice in the control panel receptacle spade (maybe this isn’t the correct word to describe?) for the white control panel receptacle wiggles. Is this normal?

Is there cause for concern?

Is my Leviton 2713 30 Amp, 125/250 Volt, NEMA L14-30R, 3P, 4W, Locking Connector, Industrial Grade, Grounding - Black-White bad?

Is my Leviton 2715 30-Amp, 125/250 Volt, Flanged Inlet Locking Receptacle, Industrial Grade, Grounding, White bad?

Photos attached to this post.

Control Panel Power In.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.17 KB
 Viewed:  10841 Time(s)

Control Panel Power In.jpg

Cable Locking Connector.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.45 KB
 Viewed:  10841 Time(s)

Cable Locking Connector.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common issue, especially with people who build their own using our DIY kits (as you did) when parts are not properly wired, connected, tarnished, or similar. See here for complete details:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/control-panel-troubleshooting#A_wire_or_part_looks_like_its_burnt_or_melting

I recommend replacing any parts that are charred or discoloured. Replacements are available in our shop: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections

Proper connections are important for high current connection points to ensure this doesn't happen going forward. When properly connected both on the screw/wire side during building and then on the socket/plug side when in use, this will never happen.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the 240V power in white wire spade wiggle?

I've been thinking a LOT about this since I posted. Possible this happened when I got distracted and mistakenly plugged in the HLT to the Brew Kettle heating element and the Brew Kettle heating element to the HLT control? This was about a year ago. No, wasn't drinking any homebrew at the time as I never have any while brewing. Got distracted, wasn't paying proper attention and mis-connected things. I've taken measure to ensure this NEVER happens again.

Brew Kettle heating element got cherry red (without liquid in the brew kettle) before I noticed and killed power to the control panel.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
What about the 240V power in white wire spade wiggle?

All connections should always be solid. There should not be any loose connections. See the link I posted above for more.

Kal

KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "spade" I'm writing about the male copper part of the "Leviton 2715 30-Amp, 125/250 Volt, Flanged Inlet Locking Receptacle, Industrial Grade, Grounding, White" control panel 240V power in receptacle. Not the wire going to the receptacle, the copper/brass part (what I'm calling the "spade" visible from underneath the control panel).

All connections on both the plug locking receptacle and the control panel (power in) receptacle are "solid".
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about me mistakenly using the brew kettle heating element? Could this mistake have caused?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
By "spade" I'm writing about the male copper part of the "Leviton 2715 30-Amp, 125/250 Volt, Flanged Inlet Locking Receptacle, Industrial Grade, Grounding, White" control panel 240V power in receptacle. Not the wire going to the receptacle, the copper/brass part (what I'm calling the "spade" visible from underneath the control panel).

If a plug is dirty or not properly locked into a receptacle similar things can happen.

KB wrote:
All connections on both the plug locking receptacle and the control panel (power in) receptacle are "solid".

Your picture shows a receptacle that is charred, so it can't be "solid". If it was solid, you wouldn't have charring. See the previous link I posted. There are many reasons why this can happen when a connection is done incorrectly. It could be something as simple as mistakenly cutting some of the wire strands which effectively reduces the wire gauge, causing excess heat. There are other possible reasons too. Give the link I provided recently a read as it explains possible reasons:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/control-panel-troubleshooting#A_wire_or_part_looks_like_its_burnt_or_melting

We see this often when people build their own stuff.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
What about me mistakenly using the brew kettle heating element? Could this mistake have caused?

I think you mean firing an element dry? That won't cause a plug or receptacle to char or discolour up the chain.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your first post you have a picture of a female locking connector called "Cable Locking Connector.jpg" that looks like it's part of a power cord. What is that exactly? Just curious as female locking connectors outside of the control panel are not used in the design documented on our website. So not really sure what you've done. The more information the better.

Kal

KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
In your first post you have a picture of a female locking connector called "Cable Locking Connector.jpg" that looks like it's part of a power cord. What is that exactly? Just curious as female locking connectors outside of the control panel are not used in the design documented on our website. So not really sure what you've done. The more information the better.

Kal

??? These are from your 2014 Edition The Complete Guide to Building Your Brewery. The cable locking connector is shown on page 251 of the guide. The link goes to
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FKBZ5O?ie=UTF8&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000FKBZ5O

Also shown on page 252 of the guide.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, you were talking about heating elements (completely unrelated) so I thought maybe you had done something different with your heating element cables.

As mentioned above the charring is from a poor connection. See the previous link for a list of the most common reasons.

Good luck!

Kal

KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked the control panel and discovered several loose screws/wires/connections due to heating/cooling. Seems to me the build should mention the use of "LocTite" or something similar to prevent from happening or is this the secret "ingredient" in the purchased build?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liquid threadlockers shouldn’t be used here. Make sure your connections are tight. For our pre-assembled panels that may travel thousands of miles we do have some warnings when you first open the box which recommend retightening some of the high current connections to ensure that they have not loosened due to excessive vibration during shipping. For kits this should not be required.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: