Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Magazine Recipe Step Mash for our System

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Magazine Recipe Step Mash for our System Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I plan to brew the Festbier from the September 2022 issue of BYO. Recipe calls for 30 minute step mash at 140-144F and then a 30 minute step mash at 158-162F.

Since we normally do 90 minute mash with our EB should I adjust the recipe to do 45 minute step mash for for both steps or leave at 30 minutes?

Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Magazine Recipe Step Mash for our System Reply with quote

KB wrote:
Since we normally do 90 minute mash with our EB ...

That isn't true. You can do any sort of mash you like with the Electric Brewery design documented here including simple 30 min single infusion mashes to complex 4+ hour step mashes. Completely up to you. Take a look at the ~50 recipes I've posted too - many have complex step mashes and varying duration. Some examples:

Pliny the younger: Mash at 145F for 120 mins, then raise to 155F and hold for an additional 30 mins. (These times may seem like overkill, but we need this beer to be as attenuated as possible). Raise to 168F mashout temperature and hold for 10 mins.

Witbier: Mash at 122F for 15 mins, then raise to 155F and hold for an additional 90 mins. Raise to 168F mashout temperature and hold for 10 mins.

Weizen: Start the mash at 113F and hold for 15 mins (this ferulic acid rest which helps promote the creation of 4-vinyl guaiacol which has clove-like phenol flavours the style is known for). This rest works best at a pH of 5.7-5.8 (relative to mash temperature) so if you add mash salts and acid you want to wait and do it after the ferulic acid rest. Ramp up to 154F and hold for 90 mins. Raise to 168F mashout temperature and hold for 10 mins.

Belgian tripel: Start the mash at 131F and hold for 10 mins (high end of the protein rest range). Ramp up to 149F and hold for 90 mins (beta rest). Ramp up to 155F and hold for 30 mins (alpha rest). Raise to 168F mashout temperature and hold for 10 mins.

Super saison: Start the mash at 147F and hold for 90-120 mins (beta rest). Ramp up to 155F and hold for 30 mins (alpha rest). Raise to 168F mashout temperature and hold for 10 mins.

German pilsner: Single infusion mash at 148F for 120 mins. Raise to 168F mashout temperature and hold for 10 mins.

Czech premium pale lager: Start the mash at 120F (low end of the protein rest range) and immediately start raising to 154F (starch conversion / saccharification rest temperature) and hold for 90 mins. Raise to 168F mashout temperature and hold for 10 mins.

See more: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/recipes

KB wrote:
I plan to brew the Festbier from the September 2022 issue of BYO. Recipe calls for 30 minute step mash at 140-144F and then a 30 minute step mash at 158-162F.

You should simply do what the recipe calls for. That said, 30 mins at 140-144 is really short. I tend to go for a good 90-120 mins at temps that low to ensure conversion. Completely up to you of course and what you want to get out of the beer.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I realize I should have wrote that I haven't brewed all the EB recipes. Seems the ones I have brewed called for a single infusion and 90 mash.

How long for the 140-144F step?

How long for the 158 - 160F step?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
How long for the 140-144F step?
How long for the 158 - 160F step?

I suggest you follow the recipe as documented.

Kal

KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed the Festbier on Saturday, September 3, 2022. Everything went according to plan. I hit all expected numbers.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Enjoy the beer!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: