Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Munich Helles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcpac

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am attempting to use easy EZwater for my water profile and am confused on a couple things.

1. I don't see where you can hit (Hit minimums on Ca and Mg, keep the Cl:SO4 ratio low and balanced)

2. What are you selecting for the grain info?

Thanks for any help.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

Check out out my water adjustment step by step article for complete information on how to adjust your water: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment

That said, I'm sure sure what you mean by your first question. Can you explain differently?

For your second question, see step (3) of my water adjustment article and why I recommend skipping over anything about grain.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dcpac

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, I had read the water adjustment several time and completely skimmed over step 3. Disregard my second question.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem! What about your first question?

Kal

Swampale

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewing 11 gallons of this today. Using Bru'n water along with Kal's water profile.

Thanks Kal.

Chris
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy! Let us know how you like it. I picked up some Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager yeast myself a few months ago to make this beer again... it's been too long! I'll be a great summer beer (should be lagered and ready by then).

Kal

Swampale

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using washed WLP833.
champ

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampale wrote:
Brewing 11 gallons of this today. Using Bru'n water along with Kal's water profile.

Thanks Kal.

Chris

Chris, How do you like Bru'n Water?
Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Chris, but it's been spot on for me.
champ

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master wrote:
Not Chris, but it's been spot on for me.

I like it too. Get's us real close.
Swampale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a few tries to get it right. I made simple beers at first just to get my feet wet. My first beer tasted odd. I kept at it and made sure all of my measurements were spot on. Beers are turning out way better now that I have been using it for a couple of years. I highly recommend buying it.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/munich-helles

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

smaillet

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

In your recipe, you suggest Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager yeast or White Labs WLP838 Southern German Lager yeast. One of your posts mentions Fermentis W-34/70. Have you used this yeast for a Munich Helles? If so, how would you compare the results with dry yeast vs liquid yeast? I would rather go the route of dry yeast if results are comparable.

Thanks,

Stephane
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephane,

I have not used W-34/70 in this beer but would have no qualms doing so. It would make a great beer. Try a split batch (one with W34/70 and the other with WY2308 or WLP838) and see which you prefer. Good luck!

Kal

nickey

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am going to be brewing this next week. The recipe calls for 844 billion yeast cells, which means I will have to do a two step buildup. The question I have is after the first buildup how much of the yeast would I move into the second flask to build up? All of it or a portion of it. If it is a portion, how to estimate the amount? Not sure if I am understanding the calculator correctly.

One other possible option. I do have two stir plates and a second flask, though I think that my flask size is a little shy. I have a 5 liter and a 2 liter while the calculator tells me I would need a 5 liter and a 2.75 liter starter.

Thanks for any help.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nickey,

You move all of it. See the "MY FLASK IS TOO SMALL!" section here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/making-a-yeast-starter#Hints

If you have two stir plates and two flasks that are large enough you can do it all at once too. I often do this. In fact, just did it 3 days ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/CeoshnEMJpb/

Cheers!

Kal

nickey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been reading and reading about lagering but am still not sure about some things. I have a conical fermenter that I use a glycol chiller to control the cooling.

I would like to leave the beer in there until time to keg (which, to confirm, when it goes into the keg it begins the lagering phase right?).

I do not have a brite tank and nor the ability to control temps outside of the fermenter. Can it all be done in the conical?

Also, I was reading about the chance of autolysis if the beer is left on the yeast too long. This makes we want to drain the trub at some point. Advice?

thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nickey,

Lagering is a form of beer maturation on the yeast that usually lasts for several weeks, if not months, at or near-freezing temperatures, after fermentation and before filtration and/or packaging of the beer.

I don't typically lager myself. I condition. Meaning that the beer isn't on yeast. I do that in the keg after packaging as described in the NOTES/PROCESS section of the recipe: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/munich-helles#Notes_Process

You can certainly lager in a conical. You'd leave the yeast in and drop the temp to near freezing and leave it for weeks/months. You can also simply package (keg) and then condition the beer near freezing as I do. Try both ways, see if you notice a difference or have a preference.

I would not worry about autolysis in homebrew sized batches. It's almost impossible.

Kal

nickey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like I will be putting mine in the keg for conditioning as well. Do you see any problems with leaving it in the conical until time to go into a keg? Will that affect the clarity very much?
Glad to know that autolysis is not a concern. One less thing to worry about.

Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickey wrote:
Do you see any problems with leaving it in the conical until time to go into a keg?

No. I wouldn't leave it for months and months at warmer temps.

Quote:
Will that affect the clarity very much?

As opposed to going to be brite first? Don't worry about it. You can use gelatin directly in the conical too if you want, wait a day or two, then keg.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: