Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Rattle when HLT element is on

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Rattle when HLT element is on Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've started to notice a noise that I can only describe as a 'rattle' when the HLT element is turned on. Sometimes I notice that type of noise when the water is heating, but it usually goes away.

Does this sound normal? It seems like it's become more consistent lately.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's usually a short (a few seconds) low volume rumble of sorts when the element first turns on but it should go away after a few seconds.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: video of the noise Reply with quote

I would say that this is more than the low rumble (which I think I know what you're describing.)

I've had the HLT warming up for about 20 minutes and I'm still hearing it essentially every time the element is on (as best I can tell). I've got a video of it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/KxEFxvKrQbk?feature=share
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: video of the noise Reply with quote

jphussey wrote:
I would say that this is more than the low rumble (which I think I know what you're describing.)

I've had the HLT warming up for about 20 minutes and I'm still hearing it essentially every time the element is on (as best I can tell). I've got a video of it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/KxEFxvKrQbk?feature=share

Weird. Sounds like a car misfiring. I would probably change the element. Doesn't sound normal. Does the other element do it? While I don't see how it couldn't be, to be 100% sure it's the elemen you could try swapping plugs on the control panel and retest driving the HLT element from the control panel "boil" side. If it still rumbles, it's probably the element. To really really test it, assuming the boil element is ok, you could could remove the boil element (just the bare element) from the box and put it in the HLT element box. I probably wouldn't bother and would just replace the HLT bare element. They're here:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/heating-elements

Cheers!

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does something similar to that. I believe it is the water boiling off of the element.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jphussey: Did you change the element to see if the problem went away? Just curious. Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: