Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Closed - ISO Danby fermenting fridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffW

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Closed - ISO Danby fermenting fridge Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Looking for a Danby fermenting fridge. Either of the two models described in Kal's brewing primer (Danby DWC458BLS or DBC039A1BDB) are what I am searching for. These models have been discontinued by Danby in the last couple of years. I have scoured the internet and can not find one available anywhere.

I would be willing to make a semi-unreasonable road trip to pick one up if someone has one that is not being used.

Really regret not buying two when I had the chance!

Last edited by JeffW on Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
JeffW

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
One last hopeful call to the nice people at Danby and they eventually told me they have two warehouse/distribution centers/showrooms (they never mentioned this before!). These are located in Guelph, Ontario and Findlay, Ohio.
While neither of these places had the discontinued models, they did have the newer model (model: DBC434A1BSSDD) and were able to measure the inside for me. Had one shipped and I now have it in the home brewery and can confirm it has the same interior dimensions as the prior discontinued models. Fantastic!

Hope this info helps someone else in their build!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news and thanks for the update! I added this to my detailed page in case it helps anyone else in the future:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/45-bottle-wine-cooler-or-124-can-beverage-center

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
JeffW

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have spoken too soon about this model.

While the product page on the Danby website (https://www.danby.com/products/beverage-centers/dbc434a1bssdd/) describes the temperature range of this model as 36F-64F, this is not correct. The actual temperature range of the model I received is only 34F-50F. Big difference when using this for fermentation. The included user manual on my model states 34F-50F and the unit only goes up to 50F...the online user manual says 36F-64F!

I'm disappointed, to say the least. Will call Danby next week for clarification.

Apologies for the misleading information. I got too caught up in the internal dimensions and didn't plug it in and fire it up until today. However, in my defense, the website is clearly wrong. Lame.

May have to consult some engineer buddies to see if it's possible to reprogram the internal thermostat on this thing.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Let me know what they say. I updated the page here to make that clear. If it's not meant for wine but cans only that probably explains why the upper temp is only 50F.

Kal

JeffW

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confirmed with Danby that the temperature range of this newer model is indeed only 36-50. They made a mistake on the website and they have since updated the website.

I will be returning the dbc434a1bssdd. Danby has several other models of beverage centers with a range of 36-64, but the internal dimensions are not the same. Coincidentally, I'm going on a road trip and will be bypassing the Danby store in Guelph, ON tomorrow. I've got an SS Brewbucket in the back of the truck and I'm going to see if it fits into any other models with that have the 36-64 range. Will update as I can.

Danby customer service leaves much to be desired...
JeffW

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to provide one last update on this to provide some potentially helpful information to the community.

Danby helped me find another of their models that it seems will be useful as a fermenting fridge. The Silhouette SBC057D1BSS has a temperature range of 37F-64F and will (just barely) fit the 7 gallon SS brewbucket with the domed lid and blowoff tubing as described in the brewing primer on this website. This is a larger cu ft model and more expensive. I included a side by side photo with the DBC039A1BDB. (Silhouette SBC057D1BSS on the left, DBC039A1BDB on the right)

The internal dimensions of the SBC057D1BSS are: 
25.75" height
18" depth
19 5/8" width
Compressor in the back decreases depth by 5.75" and height by 4-4.25" - depending on if you measure from the top/bottom of the bottle groove on the bottom of the unit.

This model is over an inch less in internal height than the previous discontinued models, but I can confirm that the brew buckets fit (see photo). The fit is so close that I had to adjust the hose clamp on the blowoff tubing so that the screw on the hose clamp does not add to the overall height. Once you get past the housing of the temperature display on the inside of the fridge, there is another inch or so of height, so dry hopping without taking the whole fermenter out should still be possible. 

One last thing I learned from this experience that may be useful to someone else looking for a fermenting unit: Danby has two stores/warehouses (Findlay, OH and Guelph, ON) that have lots of models (scratch and dent, previous display units, returns, etc). Definitely possible that someone could find a discontinued/returned model if they had the time to look around. I found a DWC458BLS when I was at the Guelph store a month ago, but I didn't have room in the truck for it and I was 8 hours from home. 

As always, thank you for the information in this forum!

IMG_4123.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  224.89 KB
 Viewed:  2497 Time(s)

IMG_4123.jpeg

IMG_4121.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  180.52 KB

IMG_4121.jpeg

IMG_4120.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  203.83 KB

IMG_4120.jpeg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff! I added some of this info here and linked back to this thread so that people can see your pics:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/45-bottle-wine-cooler-or-124-can-beverage-center

I hope it's ok but I edited your text above just slightly to make it easier for people to know which fridge is which in the picture (though should be obvious).

Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: