Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Dry Irish Stout
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
nickey wrote:
I have been thinking about the gravity of this beer. The O.G. was 1.050 and currently it is 1.010. I think that is somewhere around 5.5% alcohol.
The further down it goes will only increase the alcohol content so I am thinking I should have done something differently to get nearer the targeted amount of 4.2%

Correct.

You need to adjust the grain amounts for your setup and mash efficiency to hit the OG you expect, and any other variables you introduce. Every setup is different and everyone brews differently too (different sparge rates and so forth). If you are using a setup identical to ours I do list exactly what I do and recommend in the NOTES/PROCESS section of the recipe and you can see exactly how the process goes step by step by following my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP guide (linked to at the bottom of the NOTES/PROCESS section).

That said, even two brewers on the same identical setup following the same steps may interpret them slightly differently or introduce changes they don't realize. Brewing is an iterative process for everyone, but I do list absolutely every single detail about the recipe/process to ensure that as many unknowns are removed as possible. Brew, adjust for next time, brew again.

Quote:
I collected 13.9 gallons of wort for the boil and I failed to take a pre boil gravity, which was a mistake. Of course at the time I did not know what to target for a pre boil gravity but feel that if I had collected a bit more liquid for the boil and then boiled longer I would have been in a better place. Or, would I still be in the same position?

If you had collected more pre-boil then your pre-boil gravity will have been lower. But if you then also boiled longer you may end up at the same place as the longer you boil the more the post-boil gravity goes up. So depends on how much more you collect, how much more you boil.

Whatever brewing software you use will tell you what your pre-boil gravity should be based on your boil off rate, time of boil, and so forth. Things like boil off rate are very dependant on the setup and environment. For example, I always brew indoors at pretty much the same temperature and relative humidity and no wind (since it's indoors) so my boil off rate is very consistent, resulting in a very consistent product. Someone who brews outdoors at wildly different temperatures / humidity levels / wind will find their boil rate will change quite a bit which can result in a more inconsistent product if you do not account for it (which may be difficult to do or calculate).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

Do we still aim for a 5.2-5.6 mash pH on this one as we are adding the roasted barley at the end? I was thinking of aiming in the higher range I.e 5.6 as the ph will drop when we add the roasted barley.

Thanks

Rivet
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rivetcatcher wrote:
Do we still aim for a 5.2-5.6 mash pH on this one as we are adding the roasted barley at the end?

Yes. That's one reason we add the roasted barely at the end of the mash. See the note in the recipe.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: