Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

What in the world is 225 brewing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Enjoy!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Enjoy!

Kal

Thanks!

OG was 1.040 again. At least that's consistent? lol
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consistency is good, but it is low.

Take a look at my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP guide - there may be something you're missing: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/brew-day-step-by-step

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Consistency is good, but it is low.

Take a look at my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP guide - there may be something you're missing: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/brew-day-step-by-step

Kal

I'm going to check everything again.

14 days in, hit 1.010 on FG. 3.81% ABV.

I'm still going to keg 5 gallons and quick carb it just to see how it tastes, but this batch is garbage too.

I'm going to study why I'm getting a low OG. It's killing me. I guess I'll do another brew day tomorrow.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

225 wrote:
I'm going to study why I'm getting a low OG. It's killing me. I guess I'll do another brew day tomorrow.

There's definitely something you're missing. Unless you find out what it is, brewing again the same way will only produce the same results.

Read this carefully: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/brew-day-step-by-step

Good luck!

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
225 wrote:

There's definitely something you're missing. Unless you find out what it is, brewing again the same way will only produce the same results.

Read this carefully: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/brew-day-step-by-step

Good luck!

Kal

Thanks! I added some DME to try to salvage it. I'll let you know how it comes out next week.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DME didn't work out. So I brewed another batch up.

Came out with the same OG, 1.040. There is NO WAY that it's possible to come out with the same OG EXACTLY the same all 3 times if I was doing something wrong.

Not possible. If it was a human error, or equipment error, the gravity wouldn't be exactly the same 3x in a row. The reading would be all over the place, right?

My hydrometer is reading 4 points heavier. I checked it with distilled water. It was -4 points.

I can't believe it took me 3 brews to figure this out. Such a rookie move.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

225 wrote:
If it was a human error, or equipment error, the gravity wouldn't be exactly the same 3x in a row. The reading would be all over the place, right?

Not necessarily. If you're consistently doing the wrong thing, or your equipment is off, it can certainly be repeatable.

Quote:
My hydrometer is reading 4 points heavier. I checked it with distilled water. It was -4 points. I can't believe it took me 3 brews to figure this out. Such a rookie move.

Make sure to follow my hydrometer calibration procedure to check it across the board: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/measuring-gravity#Hydrometer_Calibration

Also make sure to compensate for temperature (covered in the above guide).

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't brewed in a year. Getting back to it.

I brewed a Mexican Hot Chocolate Stout, and canned some for friends.

I used Voss Kviek Yeast. Grain to glass in 5 days. That includes time to carb the kegs.

I think I'm going to switch to Blichmann Riptide Pumps too.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That beer looks great!

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
That beer looks great!

Kal

Thanks! One keg is already gone (Friends came over). The second one will sit a month.

I've been working on trying to get my Cannular to work right, no luck yet. Every can eventually bled out.

Once we move, I'm thinking about upgrading to a 1 BBL system. So I might be building another system then.

Right now I keep everything in my shed, and when I'm ready to brew, I have to pull everything out and then set it up. Clean it, and put it all back.

Gonna keep it Electric Brewery tho.

Kal, how do you clean everything? Like to get all the grain out and wash everything? Do you move the kettles or keep them on the brew stand?

I would love to know your process for this. If I keep my current system, I wanna buy a longer table, but cut the legs short that way the kettles are a lot lower and easy to get to.

Once again, that Kviek yeast is crazy. 5 days grain to glass.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

225 wrote:
Once we move, I'm thinking about upgrading to a 1 BBL system. So I might be building another system then.

Sounds good! I'd recommend our 50A Electric Brewery Control Panel for 30+ gallons. Two heating elements per kettle instead of one. Twice the power.
See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/control-panels

Quote:
Kal, how do you clean everything? Like to get all the grain out and wash everything? Do you move the kettles or keep them on the brew stand?

See my cleaning article: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/cleaning-brewing-equipment-kegs-oxiclean-baby-or-free-oxygen-based-cleaner
I also cover the step of cleaning during brew day in my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP guide: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/brew-day-step-by-step

I only unplug the MLT. (Only one temp probe). Nothing else ever gets unplugged.

Kal

maxtig

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

225 wrote:
I haven't brewed in a year. Getting back to it.

I brewed a Mexican Hot Chocolate Stout, and canned some for friends.

I used Voss Kviek Yeast. Grain to glass in 5 days. That includes time to carb the kegs.

I think I'm going to switch to Blichmann Riptide Pumps too.

Looks really good, would not refuse one glass of this beer Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great photo of the brew in the snow on the railing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: