Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric IPA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
No, I usually dry hop in the fermentation bucket near the end of fermentation and wait another ~7 days. Then I rack to CO2 purged 5 gallon glass carboys, add gelatine, wait a couple of days, then rack to CO2 purged kegs and then chill/carb in my conditioning fridge.

That said, there are any number ways to do this that will all make excellent beer. You can also dry hop in the carboys or even in the keg. You can try with or without gelatine too. You can vary the dry hop time too. I suggest trying different ways to see what you think and choose what works best for you / gives you the results you like. Every method will be slightly different, no one necessarily better than the other.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
SafetySandlesBrewing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

I noticed on this recipe you have a single OG and FG followed by a range. Simple math tells me that the single OG/FG is your average, but am I right on that assumption?

Thank you for this whole website and the work you put into it all, I really appreciate it!

SSB

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

No, that would be incorrect. The single OG and FG are what we have for this recipe. The ranges for OG, FG, colour, alcohol and bitterness are BJCP (beer judge certification program) guidelines for the given style (in this case american IPA). The software I use (Beer Tools Pro) prints out recipes like this so that you can see where your recipe falls within the guidelines.

Here's an example for my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP guide that shows how my Blonde Ale recipe falls within the BJCP guidelines:

More in the guide here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step

So, for example, this recipe has an OG of 1.048 and the Blonde Ale "style" (per the 2008 BJCP guidelines) says that the OG is usually between 1.038 and 1.054 so I'm near the top third of that.

In the software they use little sliders to make it more obvious. Most brewing software lets you pick a style for your recipe so that you can get an idea how it fits in style wise. That said, you can brew anything you like. Style guidelines are not rules - they're guidelines one. Some people who follow styles religiously are considered style nazi's so I'm careful of what I say. Wink

Styles are constantly evolving too - The new 2015 BJCP styles for example introduce some new styles, and take away or combines or tweak some of the old ones from the 2008 guidelines. My recipes here for the most part show 2008 numbers in the guidelines but some of the more recent ones may be 2015 (I don't remember). That doesn't change the recipe however. I don't use BJCP to direct my recipes. BJCP to me is a way that helps brewers communicate: When I say "I made an American IPA" instead of an "American IIPA", other brewers know what I mean.

Cheers!

Kal

SafetySandlesBrewing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

Wow, thanks for the quick response, I don't know how you keep up on all this! I'm glad I asked!

We built a clone of your system (with some minor deviations) and are getting close to your gravities but just slightly off. We've done 3 batches of the Electric Pale Ale (sessions version) and have been just a few points on the lower side for both OG and FG, but the attenuation % is right on.

Thanks!

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SafetySandlesBrewing wrote:
We built a clone of your system (with some minor deviations) and are getting close to your gravities but just slightly off. We've done 3 batches of the Electric Pale Ale (sessions version) and have been just a few points on the lower side for both OG and FG, but the attenuation % is right on.

Cool!

Every setup will have slightly different mash efficiency, especially at first until you dial in your process. So brewers usually need to plug in their mash efficiency % into whatever brewing software they use and tweak the grain amounts accordingly (most brewing software can do this scaling for you automatically).

More info: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/FAQ#What_sort_of_efficiency_do_you_achieve_with_your_setup_

More info too on what to choose and how to set your mash efficiency in my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP guide: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step

Cheers,

Kal

perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal - would you say that this might be the precursor to a NEIPA?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perogi wrote:
Hey Kal - would you say that this might be the precursor to a NEIPA?

No, I don't think so. Not any more than any 'standard' American IPA would be. This beer doesn't have most of the traits of what (IMHO) makes an NEIPA an NEIPA. See the list here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30768

Kal

perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking at that list, I would agree. After first official NEIPA that my friend's drank, they looked at me and said this tastes/smells like a Perogi's. I modified your recipe to use Maris Otter, not use any bittering hops, added multiple hop additions, and use munich (or vienna) malt to round it out. However, I kept the US-05 and kept it dry (~1.010). It's our beer for wiffleball games and I don't want anything too heavy or cloying. Thanks for all you do!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s the great thing about brewing: You can take a recipe, adjust it to your liking and call it your own! Cheers!

Kal

JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal- Do you do anything to rehydrate the US-05?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually rehydrate in bottled spring water - something high in minerals.

Kal

JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Kal

Any exact ratio of water to yeast, and time frame- several hours to days? Finding a lot of contradiction on rehydration of dry yeast.

EDIT: the most common recommendation I've seen is to mix Go-Ferm, yeast, and water (Go-Ferm:Yeast ratio of 1.25g:1g) but no standard amount of water for the mixture.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMD887 wrote:
kal wrote:

Kal

Any exact ratio of water to yeast, and time frame- several hours to days? Finding a lot of contradiction on rehydration of dry yeast.

EDIT: the most common recommendation I've seen is to mix Go-Ferm, yeast, and water (Go-Ferm:Yeast ratio of 1.25g:1g) but no standard amount of water for the mixture.

I use somewhere between 1-2 cup of water. Only takes ~30 minutes for it to start to foam up. It is indeed a highly controversial subject. Doesn't help that different manufacturers do different things to their yeasts.

Kal

JMD887

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. I agree- this is not very helpful, but thats the best thing about collaboration here on the forum.

I will be brewing this next weekend as I'm longing for a nice IPA that I've not had before. Will likely be my last brew day of the year as snows already starting to fall here in Ohio. Also, hopefully this will be my last brew day using propane!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/electric-ipa

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

kennymac

Drinking: Bell's Two Hearted Ale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: My electric IPA brew results... Reply with quote

Hey Kal,
Wow! I love this one, it's a great west coast IPA recipe for sure! I was afraid the dry hop addition might be a little too light, man was I wrong. The nose is just perfect, great bitterness and very good mouth feel. I happened to have some Warrior hops in the freezer so I was part of the way there with the ingredients to begin with; and I love Warrior for bitterness too! The Citra and Crystal dry hops really gives this a nice balanced flavor and a very nice nose. And the operative word here is "balanced", what a great everyday IPA.

This summer I joined a brew club in Orlando, the Brewers Anonymous https://brewersanonymous.org/. As I'm still fairly new to the area I thought this would be a good way to meet new people that had similar interests. I brought a growler of the Electric IPA to a brewing event this past Saturday and a few of my new friends sampled it. Everyone said this was a fantastic brew, I got nothing but compliments on it and also the Russian Imperial Stout I shared as well. So great job Kal, this will be a regular brew for me I anticipate!

I chose this shot as you can see the countertop form is just about ready for concrete...
Electric IPA by Ken McChord, on Flickr

Electric IPA by Ken McChord, on Flickr
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Ken! That beer is making me thirsty! Glad to hear you and others are enjoying it! That counter looks great too!

EDIT: P.S. Added your testimonial to the recipe. Wink

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on using German Weyermann pilsner malt (1.5-2.1L) instead of Domestic 2-row malt (1.8-2L) for this IPA?

I'd expect the resulting flavors to be closer to original recipe then instead using Weyermann Pale Ale Malt (2.5-3.3L), which I presume would be a bit drier and hence a bit more of a hoppy bite.

I am trying to stick to Weyermann, so i'll end up making it with both either way and providing some feedback - but just wondered what your thoughts may be on expectations between use of the two.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphakry wrote:
Thoughts on using German Weyermann pilsner malt (1.5-2.1L) instead of Domestic 2-row malt (1.8-2L) for this IPA?

Go for it! Doubt you'll notice much of a difference (if any at all) given that the base malt takes a backseat to all the hops.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: