Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Blonde Ale / Premium Lager
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smaillet

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Thanks for the quick answer Kal. That makes perfect sense. Should have figured that out by myself Smile

As for my second question, any idea why Brewer's Friend calculates the OG for this beer at 1.054 as opposed to 1.048 (see screenshot). As far as I know, I've entered all the parameters exactly like you've got them on your recipe page (95% efficiency). When going through the same exercise with your Electric Pale Ale, I get the same numbers.

Back in Febuary, my friend and I decided that we were going to build our own brewery. He had never done any type of home brewing before. I had done a number of kits a few years back but this would by my first time doing all grain. After doing a bunch of research, watching a lot of youtube videos and gathering as much information as I could possibly absorb, I landed on your site. I was so happy to find such concise information organized so well. We basically took your blueprint and built our brewery based on all the information on your site. You've built this tremendous library and have done a great service to the home brewing community and for that I thank you.

We have brewed our first 2 batches (Blonde Ale and Electric Pale Ale) and all things considered, both brew days went pretty well. We are still learning and there are a number of kinks to work out but we are really enjoying it. Both batches are currently in fermenters and we can't wait to taste them.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you. There is a lot of information out there on the internet and it's easy to get overwhelmed. It was such a relief to a resource that had it all neatly organized in a manner that was so easy to follow. Your efforts are certainly appreciated.

Stephane

BlondeAle.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.25 KB
 Viewed:  31048 Time(s)

BlondeAle.png

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smaillet wrote:
Thanks for the quick answer Kal. That makes perfect sense. Should have figured that out by myself Smile

No worries - you're not the first to ask so I've updated all the recipes now to hopefully make it clearer that it's the style guidelines.

Quote:
As for my second question, any idea why Brewer's Friend calculates the OG for this beer at 1.054 as opposed to 1.048 (see screenshot). As far as I know, I've entered all the parameters exactly like you've got them on your recipe page (95% efficiency). When going through the same exercise with your Electric Pale Ale, I get the same numbers.

Afraid not. I've never used their software. My only guess is something to do with your boil off rate maybe as that's not something I see listed in your screenshot? Make sure that it knows you're getting 12 gallons post boil.

It could also have to with grain maximum yield. See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/FAQ#What_sort_of_efficiency_do_you_achieve_with_your_setup_

Thanks for the compliments! Glad to hear it's worked out well for you! Happy brewing!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to brew this recipe as the lager version and use W-34/70 dry yeast. I was wondering about the rehydration aspect of the yeast. Normally to rehydrate dry yeast I would use sterile water or wort at roughly 70F. Meanwhile of course before pitching I have cooled the wort down to around 50F. I have heard that pitching a warm yeast into a colder wort would send it to 'sleep'. Do I have to cool the rehydrated yeast mixture down to the wort temperature before pitching into the wort?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would usually rehydrate dry yeast in room temp water.

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at hallertau hops, I see a few varieties such as Blanc, Hersbrucker, Mittelfruh and Tradition.
I'm guessing you typically use the latter variety, such as what Morebeer sells

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct.

Hallertau, Hallertauer and Hallertauer Mittelfrüher are all names for the original German Hallertau variety.
In German, the addition of "er" means where something or someone originated.

You could use any of these really (even though they'll be slightly different):

https://www.morebeer.com/products/hallertau-mittelfruh-hops-pellets.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery
https://www.morebeer.com/products/german-tradition-hops-pellets.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery
https://www.morebeer.com/products/hersbrucker-hops-pellets.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

I purposely wasn't overly specific in the recipe as I frankly don't think it matters. Not that it won't taste different, but that the different is subjective and personal. All will be good and it's going to be a matter of taste if you prefer one over the other. I'm simply recommending a noble German hop, preferably of the Hallertau variety. If there's a different noble hop you prefer, but all means go for it. I sometimes use (American) Crystal myself as it's close to noble and clean tasting.

The noble hops are:

Hallertau
Hersbrucker
Saaz
Tettnanger
Spalt

Any of these could be used.

That's part of the fun of brewing - trying different things to see how they taste. This is a fun experiment to try: http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/03/dry-hopped-bud-light.html

That said, in this recipe with only 60 min hops, there won't be a ton of hop flavour - mostly bitterness.

Hallertau Blanc is completely different, more of an American style with pineapple and grape. You could certainly use that too of course but it wasn't what I had in mind. I went with something more noble/old school.

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm unable to cold crash the beer much colder then 55 degrees or so - will the gelatine still be helpful in clearing the beer and easy to remove when racking?

And is it even worth bringing the beer down to this temp if i can't get much lower?

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphakry wrote:
If I'm unable to cold crash the beer much colder then 55 degrees or so - will the gelatine still be helpful in clearing the beer and easy to remove when racking? And is it even worth bringing the beer down to this temp if i can't get much lower?

Whenever I use gelatin on beers like this that I want very clear, I use it at room temp. Some say it'll work better with colder beer probably because it also gets rid of chill haze.

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about fermenting this beer under pressure? I was thinking that I'd let the gravity drop to around 1.020 and then slap on a spunding valve / prv manifold to let it start to naturally carbonate, to cut down on the time it'll take to reach my glass! Smile
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, you can do that. You can do that with any beer. Keep in mind that this beer is supposed clean tasting and will benefit by conditioning for a month or two near freezing before serving. So while you may shave some time off fermentation by doing it under pressure, the beer will still be best if left alone and cold for some time after that...

Fermenting under pressure is (in theory) also supposed result in an overall reduction in yeast ester and fusel production, so maybe that conditioning time is lessened as well? Haven't tried it so I can't confirm...

Kal

KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe variation. Use up to 10% of the Pils malt and toast in the oven. Set oven to 350F. Spread the malt on a cookie sheet. When oven is ready, toast for 10 minutes. Allow the malt to cool, mill and follow the recipe as written.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/blonde-ale-premium-lager

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've previously posted 10% of the Pils malt toasted in the oven. Turned out excellent.
Brewed November 30, 2019, kegged January 21, 2020. Enjoying January 23, 2020.

I know the tap is a "Toasted Lager" and I'm serving an ale. I wasn't able to find a "Toasted Blonde Ale" and I think the tap looks cool.

ToastedBlondeAle-Glass-Kettle.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.91 KB
 Viewed:  27982 Time(s)

ToastedBlondeAle-Glass-Kettle.jpg

Toasted Blonde Ale-Taps.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.66 KB
 Viewed:  27982 Time(s)

Toasted Blonde Ale-Taps.jpg

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kal

In the current posted recipe, I was wondering why you ended up taking out the "touch of Carapils®/Carafoam® for mouthfeel" that you had mentioned in comments.

What did you ultimately feel about that addition that it didn't make it into the final recipe?

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphakry wrote:
@Kal

In the current posted recipe, I was wondering why you ended up taking out the "touch of Carapils®/Carafoam® for mouthfeel" that you had mentioned in comments.

What did you ultimately feel about that addition that it didn't make it into the final recipe?

I think you're referring to the comment I made here in May 2013?: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=299551#299551

That was 9 years ago so that's going back a ways! Wink

It was just a variation I did, that was different from the posted recipe Blonde Ale recipe. I didn't take out the carapils from the original recipe. I simply brewed the original posted recipe slightly differently, for experimentation. Experimentation is good! Feel free to brew a beer any way you like.

Cheers!

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya of course, fair enough. just wondered what ever came of the carapils addition. i don't know if you ever provided your thoughts or feedback.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I posted a follow up, doesn't appear that I did. The addition of carapils/carafoam would add a bit of 'fullness' or body to the beer. How much depends on how much you use.

Kal

nickey

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This is a favorite around my place as well. I am getting ready to brew it again in a few days. I was wondering if adding some bitter orange peel would be a bad thing? I would just brew the witbier but I already have my ingredients for this one on hand.

Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickey wrote:
This is a favorite around my place as well. I am getting ready to brew it again in a few days. I was wondering if adding some bitter orange peel would be a bad thing? I would just brew the witbier but I already have my ingredients for this one on hand.

It's never a bad thing to experiment. I've only ever added bitter orange peel to my witbiers but haven't in years as I find the yeast adds enough flavour for me, but that's just me. Certainly try it if you're curious. Let us know how you like it!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: