Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Control Panel Troubleshooting

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Control Panel Troubleshooting Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

This guide has moved here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/control-panel-troubleshooting

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
njayneer1999

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I am troubleshooting my amp meter and when I power it on, it shows "1 . " Anyone see that issue before?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

njayneer1999 wrote:
Hello. I am troubleshooting my amp meter and when I power it on, it shows "1 . " Anyone see that issue before?

Hi!

Your amp meter is not correctly connected to the shunt. More hints here:
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/testing-your-control-panel-as-you-build-it#Volt_and_amp_meters

Kal

njayneer1999

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have double-checked my wiring and it appears to be right. I measured my input voltage to be 5.1V and the input it connected across the top and bottom of the shunt. i have attached a picture of the back of my amp meter.

2022-02-22_12-55-16.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  106 KB
 Viewed:  6493 Time(s)

2022-02-22_12-55-16.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The meter may be damaged in such a way that the meter is unable to communicate with the shunt. The shunt may also be damaged, but unlikely as it's just a piece of metal that is cut to a precise resistance. The power supply may also be damaged.

Given our previous discussions through email that concluded that this is not a control panel kit we sold (someone put together a kit and claimed it was ours), it could be that some of the parts are incorrect too. So I can't confirm the parts.

You could try powering the volt meter using the transformer and power supply that is currently powering the amp meter (disconnected from the volt meter first). If the volt meter continues to work (I'm assuming it's working now) then you know that the transformer and power supply are ok, and that likely the meter is bad. Note that if the power supply was at all damaged then this could also damage the amp meter.

Last but not least, sometimes people do not strip wiring or crimp correctly such that there is no continuity between parts. Or there could be a break in the wire from mishandling. None of these I can tell from the picture unfortunately. You can use a multimeter set to low ohms and hold one end against one of the connection holes on the meter and the other to the shunt screw. Ensure it shows as a short.

To properly set up the meters step by step, see:
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/testing-your-control-panel-as-you-build-it#Volt_and_amp_meters

Unfortunately given the nature of this kit it's hard to be specific as I don't know the other parts that are used as none of this is ours. Some careful sleuthing and replacing parts that do not appear to work right should get it sorted out.

Good luck!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
njayneer1999

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know...i am so upset that it isn't yours! Just so angry...oh well, power through it. I will do a continuity check, as I did have to splice wires together to extend the length to the shunt. If that looks good, i will then try the volt meter (it is working). Thank you for your help.
njayneer1999

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i found an issue...there was no continuity on one of the wires that I had to spiced...i crimped it and must have missed the copper. So i replaced it with a single wire hoping that would be the silver bullet....now the Amp Meter doesn't even power up at all!!!! hahahaha....if it isn't one thing...lol
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful how you hook things up with the meters. Given the close proximity of 240V AC and (around) 5V DC, crossing wires or touching something the wrong way momentarily can fry the meter and possibly the upstream power supply.

This is one reason why I recommend following these steps:

Good luck!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably mention too that a good connection (be it crimp or direct connect) is important. On low voltage points like this if done incorrectly it'll either not work at all or you won't notice as there's basically zero current flow. On the high current connections (anywhere with a thicker wire, especially the 10 gauge wires) a poor connection can cause parts to overheat/melt. It's imperative that crimps / connections be done correctly in those places where hugh current is involved.

More here on the cause and effects:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/control-panel-troubleshooting#A_wire_or_part_in_my_control_panel_looks_like_its_burnt_or_melting

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
njayneer1999

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it all working. Just needed to ensure that all the wires had a solid connection to the meter. Thank you for the help.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Happy brewing!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: