Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

boil-off rates

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonT

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: boil-off rates Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello All... I'm 3 brews in on my Kal-clone-ish system and I have questions about my boil-off rate...
First of all, I'll describe my system for you. I have 15g Spike+ kettles with a 5500w heating element controlled by a Auber Brew Buddy II wired to 240v, the amp meter displays 22.1a at full power.
I've been fine tuning my system, my process and Beersmith. I'm getting close to getting it dialed in but I still had concerns about my boil off rate. I've done a boil-off test twice before but I feel I screwed it up due to still learning the auber. So I did it again...
This time I kept the lid on until it started to boil at about 210*, I then removed the lid and let it go. At first I used 90% power but it seemed more like a simmer so I upped it to 100% because Kal has stated he likes a hard boil so why not? After 15 min. I turned off the power and slapped the lid on. That was Sunday... I lifted the lid this morning and it's down to around 5.25g. I started at 6g. I still need to drain and measure for an accurate reading but 3/4g seems like a lot in 15min. So 3g an hour?
What's your boil off rate?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Don!

I get 1.9 gallons/hour myself. 3 gallons/hour does seem high if you're boiling only 6 gallons with a 5500W running at 100% that may be normal. I run my 5500W element at 85% but am starting usually with ~14 gallons.

The very first time you brew you won't know your boil off rate.
Measure the amount before you boil.
Then measure the amount after your boil (usually 60 mins).
The difference is your boil off rate.

Note that since the temp at the two points is not going to be the same probably (usually 140-150F or higher at the start as
you've just finished sparging and 212F at the end of the boil) the volumes will be slightly different. You may want to account for that by using a thermal expansion calculator like this one: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/volumetric-temperature-expansion-d_315.html
To complex? If you start with around 14 gallons pre-boil at 140-150F or so, it'll be 0.5 gallons 'larger' at 212F at the end of the boil so I take off 0.5 the post boil number to make them 'match'. If starting at around 7 gallons it’ll be .25

Note that large volumes of water boiling may not look overly vigorous. That may be what you're seeing but I'm not sure if you're using water or wort.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the boil starts I turn down the BK PID to 75%. At 75% I get a 1.9 gallon per hour boil off rate.

However, I have noticed the boil off rate, at least for me, varies a bit depending on the time of the year.
DonT

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I've since figured out my issues around the boil. I had my boil controller set to a time basis and not a power basis. After the boil starts, it now is set to 55 and I'm getting a 14% evaporation rate, which is about a gallon per hour.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you figured it out Don!

KB wrote:
However, I have noticed the boil off rate, at least for me, varies a bit depending on the time of the year.

Normal if you're brewing outside where the temperature, humidity, and wind will vary. Brewing indoors will give you more consistent results. This was apparent when I brewed in the garage while we were having our basement finished (which included the new brewery).

Kal

KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only brew indoors. Mid-South USA weather/humidity is obviously different than in Canada.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must allow your indoor temperature and/or humidity to change quite a bit throughout the year then.

I also brew indoors and we keep the house temperature consistent throughout the year. The humidity does vary slightly but not a ton (we run the house at around 30% RH in the winter and around 40-45% RH in the summer). No wind indoors of course. Wink My boil off rate does not vary throughout the year.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: