Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

240v 30 amp biab controller

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikek340403

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject: 240v 30 amp biab controller Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi new here. Looking for a good wiring diagram for a 240v 30amp contactor. Building a controller and want to have the main come threw the contactor that will be controlled by a e stop mushroom button. It’s a 3 terminal button off Amazon. The contactor is a dual pole 240v 30 amp contactor. The non din style. As far as everything else I have that figured out. Just not 100% sure how to wire this end.
Mikek340403

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the contactor I am planning on using
Migro 2 Pole 40 AMP Heavy Duty AC Contactor Replaces Virtually All Residential 2 Pole Models (2- Year Warranty Silver Alloy Content Contactors) https://amzn.to/33GppcE

This is the estop switch I was planning on using
1PCS NC Latching Red Sign Mushroom Emergency Stop Push Button Switch https://amzn.to/3F9n0Fe
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

A contactor is no different than a relay in terms of wiring. It has inputs and outputs, and a coil to control them. Most are either DPST or DPDT (double pole single throw, or double pole double throw). Read what that means here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/30a-240v-dpdt-or-dpst-relay-with-110-120v-ac-coil

So since they work the same, you can use our wiring guides with contactors too. See here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/building-your-brewery

How exactly you want to wire it and the switch depends entirely on what you want to do. There's no "one" way. But if you want to use the switch as the power switch, see how the keyed power switch is wired in our design to turn the main input contactor/relay on and off. Your switch can be wired the same way. Only difference is that it’s a button instead of key.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Mikek340403

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So update. After digging threw the web found out this contactor will not work without a capacitor to control it. Found a 240v 40a 240v induction winding capacitor. And from what I can tell the line in is connectors to the other side induction coil winding. So I just connector both induction coil winding threw a fused switch and that completes the magnetic winding circuit and pulls the contactor open
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One issue you may encounter is that the load you'll be presenting to this contactor is not inductive. It's resistive. You may have bought something specialized made for a specific purpose. Not sure. I've never heard of a contactor that requires a startup cap. That's typically used for motors and other inductive loads.

If you need a contactor or relay meant for a brewing setup that is resistive, consider the ones we sell:
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/ssrs-relays-contactors

We support our products and customers for life. Cheers!

Kal

Mikek340403

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True I didn’t think of that. The resistance of the induction coil is 770ohms so .3ampa. Switch stays hot when on so the contacts should stay pulled down. But if I have a problem I’ll look into this. Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current draw from the coil is likely much lower than that. Remember that coils have inductance (not just pure resistance) so you can't measure the resistance of a coil using a multimeter (as it uses DC).

Case in point: With any of our control panels powered up but not driving pumps or heating elements, they draw about 1/3 of what you're seeing (0.1 amps) and that's with a lot more things powered: 1 or 2 contactor (or relay) coils closed and power also to: 3 PIDs, Blue power on LED, volt meter, amp meter, 2 power supplies, 2 transformers.

If you want to measure the current draw of the coil you need to use an inline (or clamp) amp meter.

Kal

Mikek340403

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I’m going to put it together and keep this bit of info in my head. If I am having a problem with the contactor not staying open I’ll swap out for one of the ones you linked. Thank you for the advise. Was starting to feel like no one had was going to chime in.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek340403 wrote:
If I am having a problem with the contactor not staying open ...

That's backwards. Most contactors are normally open. You need to energize the relay to close it.

Mikek340403 wrote:
Was starting to feel like no one had was going to chime in.

I think part of the problem is it's not clear what you're doing and the details you've provided are too vague to provide any guidance. Really all I've been doing is pointing out things that are incorrect in case it helps out. I have no idea what you're building or doing so how to build what you want is very much an unknown as it's not clear. Sorry!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: