Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

replace shunt or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Builder

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: replace shunt or not? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
A few years ago hen I first assembled my panel, I neglected to check the voltage output of my 5v power supplies. This resulted in a loss of both volt and amp meters. I also found that the 5v supplies had shorted out on the backplane sepite the rubber spacers. I have since repaired the 5v supplies and added spacers to keep them from shorting again. I also just received new meters. (Thanks Kal I can't wait to get them in)

Ok, so on to the point...

Somewhere around here there is a blurb that says the shunt and amp meter are a matched set. Since I am replacing the amp meter with an identical replacement, can I use the shunt that's already installed, or do I have to replace it with the one that comes with the new meter? I'll replace it if it's reccomended, but if if doesn't matter I'll throw it in the parts drawer.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: replace shunt or not? Reply with quote

Builder wrote:
Since I am replacing the amp meter with an identical replacement, can I use the shunt that's already installed, or do I have to replace it with the one that comes with the new meter?

The shunt is a precision resistor. Look on the specs on both sets of amp meters and shunts. Usually it's written what the voltage drop across the shunt is in mV (usually 75mV for the 50 amp amp/shunt sets we sell). Some shunts may list the resistance (in ohms) instead. If the old and new are same, you can use the same shunt, if not, replace the shunt. If you can't find anything I would replace to be sure.

If you want to make sure you install and set up correctly I would follow the steps here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/testing-your-control-panel-as-you-build-it#Volt_and_amp_meters

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Builder

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapped out the shunt just because. Wired 120 to the bus bar, meters unhooked. Both power supplies lit up and read 4.5v. I plugged in the meters and tred again, so far so good. I then hung the panel back on the wall, plugged int he240, and something happened. One of my power supplies died again, Burned to coating off one of the traces and melted the wire I used to repair and burnt trace. I wonder if it has something to do with the dc ground being tied to one of the AC inputs? (It was the powersupply for the volt meter)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check your connections to meter. Likely something was reversed/in the wrong spot.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: