Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

NEMA L6-30 to 4 prong dryer adapter

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bisctboy

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: NEMA L6-30 to 4 prong dryer adapter Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

I built my panel several years ago when I lived on the east coast and made several batches of beer. I have since moved to Montana and haven't used my setup in several years. I wanted to get back into brewing but I have an issue I hope this forum can help with. My brewing area on the east coast had a 4 prong dryer outlet readily available, however my current brewing area only has a 30 amp L6-30 receptacle. Needless to say the 4 prong dryer plug I have on my brew panel won't attach to it. I found an adapter on eBay that is exactly what I need, I think? The listing can be found at https://www.ebay.com/itm/282754287954?hash=item41d5780952:g:RhoAAOSwy-5buBZw&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336652980&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

My question is will an adapter like this work since there are only 3 wires coming from the L6-30 receptacle going to a 4 wire dryer plug. I ask this because I made an adapter this weekend with that exact setup on the eBay listing I have shown above but nothing came on when I plugged it in today. No lights came on my panel, no "puff of smoke" (whew!), and the breaker didn't trip.

Any help on using a L6-30 receptacle on my 4 prong dryer cord would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Marshall
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Your setup as designed and built requires 4 prongs for the following:

HOT line A (120V)
HOT line B (120V)
NEUTRAL
GROUND

The panel you built gets 240V by combining the two HOT lines. When 120V is needed for panel internals and your pumps, only one HOT line and the NEUTRAL is used. The GROUND is for safety.

So adapters cannot be used. That L6-30P outlet would only supply 240V (between two of the prongs) plus ground. You need 4 prongs.

You could adapt your panel to be 240V only (per our international plans) and replace your pumps, but that would probably be more work.

Sorry!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
bisctboy

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer...thanks for your quick reply!

Marshall
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look into having a correct 4-prong 30A outlet installed. Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: