Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Using BoilerMaker G2 kettles on our setup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Blichmann build-out? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi and welcome to the forum John!

johnpbuckles wrote:
Kal, do you think "building out" a three vessel system is possible using Blichmann's "custom" options? For example, to make a HLT, you could choose the BoilCoil, HERMS coil, whirlpool for liquor re-circulation, and the additional thermometer hole for the control panel's temperature probe

Possibly, but I don't follow Blichmann's entire product line exactly (it changes all the time) so can't comment on the suitability. I do know that the analog "Thermometer" hole doesn't fit our standard metric probes however. (Completely different hole size). Like anything, you'd need to assess the parts, quality, how "open source" they are and whatever longevity you're willing to accept based on the products you buy. For example, I don't like the Boil Coil for the reasons I outline here but you may have your own needs/reasons: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27318

I wanted something I could build and use for the rest of my life and be able to service. So the setup you see detailed on this website is the result. I wanted quality industrial parts, I wanted non-proprietary parts. After more than 10 years of use I wouldn't change anything. There's nothing I can't brew, there's nothing missing.

Quote:
Do you think their BoilCoil is plug-n-play compatible with the control panel? It appears to have a proprietary connection only at the element, but a standard NEMA plug on the power side. I imagine the larger footprint of a coil might interfere with other items.

The BoilCoil comes with an L6-30P plug so it will work with our control panels. It is indeed larger in terms of footprint so if you do choose to use one make sure that everything else you want to install will also fit. This would include any other valves, possibly a Hop Stopper, and so forth. Make sure to read the link above however to ensure you're ok with the caveats I mention.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
makumazahn

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Blichmann build-out? Reply with quote

johnpbuckles wrote:
The Blichmann G2 "custom kettles" have many options, including HERMS, BoilCoil (heating element), whirlpool and extra temperature sensor choices. There are preset locations to choose where to locate these options on the kettle. https://www.blichmannengineering.com/boilermaker-g2.html

I've been looking at this myself, at least as far as the HERMS coil is concerned. It looks like the same size connection to the kettle wall, but the coil isn't as long (32 feet vs 50 feet) plus if I'm buying the hole punch anyway for the heating elements, this doesn't seem like that much extra work, plus more DIY fun. Also you get more control over hole placement yourself.

Also, I could be wrong about this (I frequently am) but I think a whirlpool is not as necessary with Kal's design if you use the hopstopper.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whirlpooling is definitely not needed if you follow my design. I purposely did want to have to whirlpool. I like to start chilling immediately. Whirlpooling adds an unnecessary delay to late hop additions which means you may add more bitterness and less hop flavour than you like.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
arcticus

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the Blichmann 3 pc ball valve to the G2 kettle and found that it fit tighter using a washer on the outside of the kettle as well. So consider purchasing a washer for the outside to ensure the threads don't bottom out and the o-ring is seated tight. Not much extra cost for a contingency item. Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: