Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Belgian Dark Strong Ale (Quadrupel)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Belgian Dark Strong Ale (Quadrupel) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/belgian-dark-strong-ale-quadrupel

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
gavalanche

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made this yesterday, and super excited to try it out. Hit 1.100 OG. Really appreciate this recipe!

A warning for anyone else: my yeast starter bubbled over (5L starter in 5L flask, two steps) and I lost quite a bit of yeast over the top. Didn't realize the extent of the problem until I decanted and it looked like there wasn't much left in the bottom. Next time I will try additional steps, with lower volume. Despite this, I did notice one of the fermenters was already bubbling this morning, when I added the second batch of o2.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the beer and let us know how it turns out!

gavalanche wrote:
A warning for anyone else: my yeast starter bubbled over (5L starter in 5L flask, two steps) and I lost quite a bit of yeast over the top.

Yeah, some yeasts are worse than others but I tend to not go much above 4 or 4.5L in my 5L flasks as I've had the same thing happen which sucks! You're trying to make yeast and you're watching a bunch of it blow out the top. Rolling Eyes

Kal

homedown

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Belgian Dark Strong Ale (Quadrupel) Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/belgian-dark-strong-ale-quadrupel

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

That is a beautiful looking beer! Poured to perfection also.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it homedown! If you brew it let us know how you like it. Welcome to the forum!

Kal

homedown

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Glad you like it homedown! If you brew it let us know how you like it. Welcome to the forum!

Kal

Thank you sir! Glad to be here.
JeffW

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excited to brew this in a couple days. Yeast starter is spinning along.

When fermenting, how do you allow the temperature to rise? Do you set the mini fridge for 68F and then turn it off and just let the temp rise? I also use a Danby wine fridge and SS brew buckets.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffW wrote:
When fermenting, how do you allow the temperature to rise? Do you set the mini fridge for 68F and then turn it off and just let the temp rise?

Exactly! Everyone will have different equipment, but I let mine ride for a few days at around 68F (wort temp) and then turn the fridges off and it free rises slowly to room temp, about 4 degrees or so higher. I'm not trying to get much higher as I pitch big.

Feel free to try a few different ways, see what you think, see if you notice differences.

Enjoy the brew!

Kal

JeffW

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed a half batch of this a few weeks ago and I think my fermentation has stalled.

Brew day went great. Fermented the first 48 hours at 68F and had incredibly vigorous fermentation. As in, the krausen crawled out through the blow off tube and made quite the impressive mess. I was barely able to get 30 seconds of the second burst of oxygen into the fermenter at 18 hours, due to the krausen expanding out of the 3" cap like a giant snake firework. After 48 hours I shut off the mini fridge and increased the ambient temp in my brewery to mid 70s and got the brew bucket up to about 71F.

Started off with an OG of 1.092
Week later I was at 1.040
Week after that 1.030....and now three weeks post brew I am sitting at 1.026 and I think I'm stalled out (basically no activity from the fermenter).

First time I have a beer that I think might not finish (16th beer on my system). Perhaps I took on too much of a challenge with this big of a beer. I think I'm going to give it a nice gentle stir and see if that gets anything going, but if anyone has any suggestions to help finish this fermentation I would appreciate them. Regardless, I'm still excited to try it!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffW wrote:
Started off with an OG of 1.092
Week later I was at 1.040
Week after that 1.030....and now three weeks post brew I am sitting at 1.026 and I think I'm stalled out (basically no activity from the fermenter).

How are you measuring gravity?
How does it taste?

You can try a forced fermentation test (Google it for steps) to see if it was a brew day issue or a fermentation issue.

Kal

JeffW

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measuring gravity with a hydrometer and a 100cc graduate.
Actually tastes pretty good. A little heat from the alcohol, overall could be a little less sweet. I think it would be a pretty decent beer as is, just not near its full potential.
May have to try the forced fermentation test, I'll have to pick up another pack or two of the Belgian yeast, but would probably be worth it to dry out the beer if it works.

Appreciate the reply!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

FYI - my reason for asking how gravity was measured is because about 50% of the people who mention the gravity's too high are using refractometers and don't realize you can't use them once alcohol is present. Not the case here.

Cheers!

Kal

Fal

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffW wrote:
Measuring gravity with a hydrometer and a 100cc graduate.
Actually tastes pretty good. A little heat from the alcohol, overall could be a little less sweet. I think it would be a pretty decent beer as is, just not near its full potential.
May have to try the forced fermentation test, I'll have to pick up another pack or two of the Belgian yeast, but would probably be worth it to dry out the beer if it works.

Appreciate the reply!
Which yeast did you use? I've used wlp530 probably 10 times and had similar issues 9 times. I don't like the wlp500 as much, but it always finishes.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use WY3787 (same as WLP530) in my Dubbel, Tripel, and this Quad. They finished dry like mentioned in my recipes.

This Quad especially is very high gravity so make sure to follow my guides to oxygenate properly and pitch an adequately sized starter. All of my recipes mention the amount of oxygen to add and the amount of yeast I pitch, and link to step by step guides on how to do this. Follow these guides and you'll be ok.

You may of course brew any way you like, but if you're having issues with this yeast 90% of the time I'd take a close look at the processes you use to oxygenate an make starters. Something doesn't sound right.

Cheers!

Kal

JeffW

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used WLP530. I made a starter to the tune of 520B cells for my half batch. First time using this yeast for me.

I think there are two areas where I can improve my fermentation process. I wasn't able to adequately deliver the second dose of oxygen 18 hours after pitching. I think next time, I will give it earlier and let it go for the full two minutes, then just clean up the messy krauzen that comes out. 
I also think I can improve consistency with fermenting above room temp. After this brew, I ordered the FTSs2 kit from SS Brewtech that corresponds with my brew bucket.  I am interested in brewing saisons and having a way to accurately control fermentation above room temp will be helpful in that regard.

My beer is, surprisingly, still very slowly chugging along. A week after I posted, I am down to 1.022.  I think I am going to give this another week or so and then transfer it for clearing. If I can get below 1.020, I'll consider that a win. The forced fermentation test is a great idea, but I'm pretty confident my issue is on the fermentation side of things...and I seem to be approaching a semi-reasonable end point with this fermentation. Hopefully not too many off flavors result from the slow finish. 
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffW wrote:
My beer is, surprisingly, still very slowly chugging along. A week after I posted, I am down to 1.022.  I think I am going to give this another week or so and then transfer it for clearing.

If you want my 2 cents, I would leave it until it's completely done regardless of how long it takes. Given the issues I would only assume it's done if gravity hasn't moved in 1-2 weeks. I'd probably leave it 2 weeks before even measuring. Every point counts. Especially if you bottle (you don't want bottle bombs).

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: