Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Upgradability of the 30A unit to 50A for 30+ Gal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurFrood

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Upgradability of the 30A unit to 50A for 30+ Gal. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
A brewer friend of mine started his 30A build before having some medical issues that have limited his beer intake. I was lucky enough to pick it up and would like to upgrade it for 30+ gallon batches. It's about 80% completed at the moment. Having closely inspected the pictures of the different panels I can get a pretty good idea of what components need to get swapped out to upgrade the panel interior, but, still have some questions about which switches, lights, buzzer, and PID's need to be swapped as well. Has anyone else done an upgrade? How about a good thread here on the forum? Thanks for the help!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Our 50A 30+ gallon build instructions list all of the part changes to go from our Standard 30A control panel to our 50A 30+ gallons control panel. See:
See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24918
The wiring diagrams highlight these changes in yellow.

All the part changes are listed. We sell all of these parts in our shop: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections

Nothing on the front door of the control panel needs changing. That's why our 50A 30+ gallon panel from the front looks identical to our Standard 30A control panel.

Keep in mind that the enclosure may have to be changed as well as extra holes are required for the 2 extra heating elements and the larger power input cable plug/receptacle requires a larger hole. Pre-punched enclosures are available in our shop as well: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/electric-brewery-control-panel-enclosures

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
ArthurFrood

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, Kal! That helps enormously! As far as some of the other hardware I see in the 50A build go, there are a few things I don't see mentioned.
The Ice cube plug in relay, 2 Adjustable DC Power Supplies on the upper DIN rail, the terminal bus block on the upper DIN rail, and the dual terminal block on the lower DIN rail I don't see mentioned. Should I be using the pic of the 50A unit as a guide on what to change over and refer to the wiring instructions on your link above to get it done?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArthurFrood wrote:
The Ice cube plug in relay

That relay is used for the safe start circuitry in all of our control panels. Look for the relay labelled "SAFE START INTERLOCK RELAY" in all of our wiring diagrams.

Quote:
2 Adjustable DC Power Supplies on the upper DIN rail, the terminal bus block on the upper DIN rail , and the dual terminal block on the lower DIN rail I don't see mentioned. Should I be using the pic of the 50A unit as a guide on what to change over and refer to the wiring instructions on your link above to get it done?

It's not clear to me what you're coming from exactly so I'm not sure what you have now and why exactly you're asking. Are you saying you already have all these parts? Can you post a picture or two? My guess is your friend did not buy our 30A control panel kit but possibly our plans as inspiration but went a different direction, swapping out parts to meet their needs.

Kal

ArthurFrood

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I took some additional time to read your 30A guides and consider what I currently have to work with and yes, it does look like the other guy was using your guide for inspiration and sourcing parts from somewhere else. (I will happily finish my project with equipment sourced from your site) The panel so far was so well done I really thought he got it from you. So having done some more reading my question is this. What is the advantage of using DIN rail mounted breakers and contactors instead of the non-DIN mount contactors and components in your 30A build?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArthurFrood wrote:
So I took some additional time to read your 30A guides and consider what I currently have to work with and yes, it does look like the other guy was using your guide for inspiration and sourcing parts from somewhere else. (I will happily finish my project with equipment sourced from your site) The panel so far was so well done I really thought he got it from you.

Post some pictures - maybe he bought one our pre-assembled panels? I don't know who they are or what you have so hard to really know at this point. If it's easier you can email me directly at kal@TheElectricBrewery.com

Quote:
So having done some more reading my question is this. What is the advantage of using DIN rail mounted breakers and contactors instead of the non-DIN mount contactors and components in your 30A build?

We sell DIN rail components (and use them in our pre-assembled panels). Explanation of the differences here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/din-rail-components

We also offer DIN rail control panel kits for anyone who asks, but we always ask to make sure they know what they're getting in to.

Normally our DIY kits normally include bolt mount components and that’s what we show in our wiring instructions and photos. Wiring for DIN rail components is the same, but layout would be different given how DIN rail are lined up on a rail and how power distribution is done is slightly different. So while the general wiring is the same, we do not provide specific wiring instructions or diagrams that show DIN rail component placement or how best to do the power distribution so we always want to make sure customers know this.

DIN rail can be more complicated to build for someone new to electrical work, and special tools are required. For example, many DIN rail components do not accept spade or ring type terminals, so wire ferrules must be first be attached to stranded wires using a wire ferrule crimper. We include ferrules in our kits but not the crimper tool. For this reason DIN rail based panels tend to take longer to build for those who has never used it before. Because of this we only recommend DIN rail kits for those who already have experience with wiring DIN rail components. Everyone else will be perfectly happy and will find the regular bolt mount kits easier to assemble.

At the end of the day functionality and quality of our DIN rail vs our standard bolt mounted parts are the same. There is no difference. With the panel closed and in use the brewer has no idea what style of components are used inside.

Control panel kits with DIN rail mounted components are the same price as our "regular" kits with bolt mounted components.

Cheers!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Arthur,

Just following up to see if you had any more questions. Feel free to post pictures as I mentioned and we can help. Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: