Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Good Banana Hefe

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Good Banana Hefe Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm interesting in making a good banana hefe and we both enjoy it.

Probably will use https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/weizen-weissbier
Recipe description indicates "The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate."

I have the Wyeast 3068 yeast.

I know the banana comes thru when the yeast is stressed and fermentation temps are high (relatively writing).

Is 1 pack of Wyeast 3068 per 10 gallons stressing the yeast too much?

Is 1 pack of Wyeast 3068 per 5 gallons stressing the yeast too much?

Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably not go less than 1 pack per 5 gallons but it really depends on your personal choice and how much you want to push things. Everyone has different tastes and what they deem appropriate. One person may say "there's not enough bacon" while someone else may say "there's too much bacon". (Ok, nobody says the latter). Wink

Temperature plays in here too like you mentioned so that's another factor. Don't go low if you want a banana bomb.

To each their own, but I've never liked the idea of purposely underpitching any beer as it's risky. You're purposely adding a long lag time which can cause other things to take hold and start fermenting first instead of the yeast. But that's just me!

Experimentation is key - sometimes you need to brew 4-5 batches making tweaks to get things to where you like them. They'll all be good, and there will be people out there that enjoy all of them with some liking one extreme more than another. Everyone is right, nobody is wrong. Which one's right for your tastebuds is often impossible to tell from other options until you actually brew it yourself.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks, good info/feedback. I'll go with a 5.75 gallon batch with 1 pack of yeast as my 10 gallon Electric Brewery can handle 5.75 gallons.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the brew day and let us know how it goes!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. Scheduled to brew it in a few weeks. Thanks for the input.
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For various reasons I wasn't able to brew until January 15, 2022. Thought for sure I'd stress the yeast as the WLP300 was best before 10/30/2021.

Fermented at 72F using a plant heating pad and Inkbird temp control on the fermenter.

I went with the WLP300 as I had troubles obtaining the Wyeast 3068.

Transferred to secondary on January 29, 2022. Pulled 2/3 cup for hydro reading. After taking hydro reading I drank the sample. While good, really was lacking the hoped for bananna.

Next time I will try the Omega Bananza Ale (OYL400).
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made a dunkelweizen that emphasizes the banana flavor and aroma. I used Wyeast 3068 and I used two packs (one pack for each 5 gallons of beer). I fermented at 72 degrees and did oxygenate for one minute with oxygen. I had air lock activity within 4 hours. The banana aroma was coming out of the fermenter by day 2 like crazy. Couldn't believe it as I always make a starter and ferment much cooler when making wheat beers. Just kegged the beer and the sample I tried has a great banana aroma and the banana flavor also carried over to the beer! So cool how you can control the esters and flavors by fermenting at a different temperature. I was skeptical using this technique but not anymore!

John

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: