Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Maximum clearance for vent hood

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatBreweryCA

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Maximum clearance for vent hood Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just wondering if anyone can suggest what the maximum clearance between kettle and vent hood might be? I'm tall, really don't want to bang my head and/or mash paddle too often. I get that minimum clearance is whatever works for me, but there's going to be a point at which my fan just isn't going to clear the steam effectively, right?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Maximum clearance for vent hood Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

ThatBreweryCA wrote:
Just wondering if anyone can suggest what the maximum clearance between kettle and vent hood might be? I'm tall, really don't want to bang my head and/or mash paddle too often.

There's no maximum really (at least within reason - I assume you're not 20 feet tall). Wink

I would put the hood high enough so that you don't bang your head plus an inch or two just to be safe in case you come bounding in.

This is exactly what I did on my rebuilt brewery setup:

I'm hunched over a bit in this pic but you get the idea. I'm ~6 feet tall. I could have easily gone another half a foot or foot higher with the hood but this works for me.

When you're indoor there's little to no wind so the steam (hot) rises straight up and is caught by the fan and vented out. Use the fan as documented in our design and you'll be fine.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
ThatBreweryCA

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kal. I'm 6' 2", myself, and coming off my kitchen stove where the clearance is really NOT so good above my pots. Just exploring my mix/max allowances as I add venting to the new garage build. I have lots of height to play with so maybe I'll just mock up something that looks good and stand back for an overall eye-balling.

I sure appreciate all the work you've put in to the site!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome and good luck with the build!

I don't know what sort of garage you have or if you plan to have it wide open (to the outdoors) while you brew, but many will forgo the vent hood completely when in a garage as you're basically "outdoors". The only thing I'd caution against is the steam hitting the ceiling of the garage in one spot as it can cause excess moisture in one spot over a long 60+ minute boil. You can however easily combat this by just pointing a regular oscillating fan towards the ceiling to ensure the air moves around.

While my current brewery/basement was being built I did exactly that while I brewed temporarily in the garage:

The garage doors were both kept wide open and a $20 fan pointed across the ceiling worked well to ensure there were no overly wet spots. Now this was completely temporary for me (just half a year or so) so in the end it's entirely up to you.

Post some pics of your garage space if you want and we can assist further/provide more suggestions.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: