Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Control panel main feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunleav1

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Control panel main feed Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi. I built my electric brewing quite a few years ago based on the original plans here. I have brewed over 200 batches and I love the setup. I've had a few lights go bad but zero issues. It is a safe and solid design. I remove the main console power cable after every brew (more on that later).

I noticed something odd during last nights brew. I had a slight electric burn smell occurring during the brew. If you've worked with electricity before you know that smell. lol.

Closer inspection shows the main control panel power receptacle and the main power cable are not as snug as they used to be. I have a little bit of scorching on the cable end and the receptacle. When I have one of the elements on, the power cable is hot at the receptacle.

I plan to replace the main control panel power outlet and the cable before the next brew.

I am assuming this if from wear and tear on the receptacle and I probably ran a brew without the cable fully locked in place.

Is this a reasonable conclusion or do I need to investigate something else?

Thanks,
Joe
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Glad to hear that you've been happy with the setup over the last 200 batches!

For that 'burnt' smell, take a look here in our CONTROL PANEL TROUBLESHOOTING guide (direct link to the right section):
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/control-panel-troubleshooting#A_wire_or_part_in_my_control_panel_looks_like_its_burnt_or_melting

dunleav1 wrote:
I am assuming this if from wear and tear on the receptacle and I probably ran a brew without the cable fully locked in place.
Is this a reasonable conclusion or do I need to investigate something else?

Yup! Could also be part quality (I believe you sourced your own parts).
If you're looking for quality industrial nylon locking connectors and receptacles, take a look here in shop:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/plugs-connectors-receptacles

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Timothy_W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is enough to replace the socket and strip the cable where it melted. Still, there he was exposed to overheating and the wire may have lost its properties.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timothy_W wrote:
Still, there he was exposed to overheating and the wire may have lost its properties.

That is not correct. Copper wire will not have "lost its properties" if overheated. The insulation may melt (not good) or you have tarnishing at the connection point if it's loose (in which case the wire should be cut back and re-stripped to expose fresh copper). But there are no "properties" that the copper will lose if heated.

Please follow the recommendations on our website here if you have a burnt or melted wire or part: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/control-panel-troubleshooting#A_wire_or_part_in_my_control_panel_looks_like_its_burnt_or_melting

Kal

dunleav1

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal. I know the cord I bought elsewhere because I bought it pre-assembled and so I could use it for my generator. The cord end connector seems to be the same part as the one you sell now, but I'm not sure. I did buy some parts through your site when it would click through to Amazon.
I do think my issue is just from heavy usage and probably not fully engaging the cord one brew.

I ordered a replacement cord end and receptacle from your site. Thanks for the great design and support!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers and good luck Joe! Thank you for your order.

Kal

Timothy_W

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Timothy_W wrote:
Still, there he was exposed to overheating and the wire may have lost its properties.

That is not correct. Copper wire will not have "lost its properties" if overheated. The insulation may melt (not good) or you have tarnishing at the connection point if it's loose (in which case the wire should be cut back and re-stripped to expose fresh copper). But there are no "properties" that the copper will lose if heated.

Please follow the recommendations on our website here if you have a burnt or melted wire or part: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/control-panel-troubleshooting#A_wire_or_part_in_my_control_panel_looks_like_its_burnt_or_melting

Kal

I'm not an expert in physics, unfortunately. It's even a little embarrassing that I was mistaken about the properties of a copper wire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: