Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Cleaning beer lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Cleaning beer lines Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

The Cleaning beer lines guide is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/cleaning-beer-lines

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:44 am; edited 41 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done something similar but keep the faucets on the towers and run my loop with some 1/2" silicone hose. It slips over the end of the faucets and doesn't seem to leak.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How clean are the insides of the faucets after doing that? I find that over time some gunk does accumulate so I like to take them apart for a thorough cleaning.

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're 100% correct. After I recirculate for 15-20 minutes I then take the faucets off and break them down. They do have gunk in them from time to time that the recirculating is not going to get out
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your techniques Kal. Honestly I've never taken apart my taps. I'm feeling mildly convicted that I should. When I empty a keg I use the keg cleaning process as an opportunity to clean that individual line/tap. I first rinse my keg with hot tap water and then put a little pressure on it and push a gallon or two thru the line/tap. Then do a PBW soak and afterwards push a couple gallons of that thru the line/tap. Then a quick rinse and fill the keg with Star San and I'll push some Star San thru the line then. Each step of the way I try to modulate the tap handle opening to get some turbulent flow in the tap to hopefully clean it out well within. Bottom line, I try to get some extra use out of each cleaning step during keg cleaning and each line is cleaned after every keg. Anyone else do something similar?

Cheers Mug
Creepy
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to put away the sunroom kegerator, but first the taps and lines are cleaned.

A video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BbFe9G2AHut/

Kal

jengum

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the write-up, Kal. It's thorough and well documented, as always. I have been flushing 4-5 gallons of Oxyclean solution through lines after each keg and soaking faucet parts in the same solution for years, with seemingly good results. I always have seltzer on tap, and rotate that through each of four lines, to see if any flavor resides.

That said...I've been making more brett and sour beers, so I'm thinking that a more rigorous process is in order. I'm planning to transition to cleaning at 160+, to handle bacteria and brett. I'm also going to expand to seven or eight faucets.

To ask the obvious, you find that a purpose made beer line cleaner makes sense, that oxyclean isn't adequate?

Belgian styles, brett, lacto, fruited
Charcuterie
View user's photo album (13 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengum wrote:
To ask the obvious, you find that a purpose made beer line cleaner makes sense, that oxyclean isn't adequate?

Yup. Oxi doesn't break down beerstone or some of the tougher stuff without scrubbing/contact. You need to use something pretty caustic to do that via non-contact and that's where the line cleaner I use/recommend above comes in.

Kal

GregorySar

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Comrpany wrote:
Yup. Oxi doesn't break down beerstone or some of the tougher stuff without scrubbing/contact. You need to use something pretty caustic to do that via non-contact and that's where the line cleaner I use/recommend above comes in.

That's a clean setup you have there!

Thanks for the cleaning tips, I really need to be a bit more diligent when it comes to cleaning!

Last edited by GregorySar on Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal thanks for the timely write-up as I'm currently building my keezer.

Lots of good info!

Kraig
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Kraig! Glad you like it!

Kal

ateene

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestion on how to clean an odd number of beer lines? I have 5 taps in my keezer.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ateene wrote:
Any suggestion on how to clean an odd number of beer lines? I have 5 taps in my keezer.

Same way. Except that the two end lines will come out of different places: One from a shank, one from the keg quick disconnect. I'm assuming since your taps are right in the keezer the two ends are close so distance won't be an issue. Cheers!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guide has been re-written and is now here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/cleaning-beer-lines

Cheers!

Kal

RTD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1/2 inch ID vinyl tubing seems a bit large for the 3/8 inch barbed fitting on the beer faucet line cleaning adapter. Does it seal ok with just a hose clamp?
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTD wrote:
The 1/2 inch ID vinyl tubing seems a bit large for the 3/8 inch barbed fitting on the beer faucet line cleaning adapter. Does it seal ok with just a hose clamp?

Hi!

Some sellers may sell different sizes of barbed fitting beer faucet line cleaning adapters. If using a smaller adapter then smaller tubing would also be needed.

Make sure to use a size that fits between the tubing and adapters otherwise it may leak as you mentioned. Another option is to buy pre-assembled: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/beer-line-cleaning-faucet-jumper-pre-assembled

Cheers!

Kal

EDIT: I think I see the confusion now - some of the links I mention are indeed for 3/8" adapters. If you use those, use smaller diameter tubing as well. I'll update the guide. Cheers!

RTD

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I followed the More Beer link that is where I was directed. I didn't notice it until I received my parts and the hose seemed a little big.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal. That would explain it!

Cheers!

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick - yes - that's unfortunate! I noticed that most sellers do not have bigger 1/2" barbed adapters like the one I use, though smaller adapters would also work as long as you use smaller tubing. I'm not sure I'd try to make a clamp make the seal for me. The clamp should only be a "just in case" thing with the tubing already holding on fairly tight to the barb.

I'll be updating the instructions to try and make this clearer. Cheers!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so in doing more research into this, it seems that pretty much all faucet adapters today use 3/8" barb instead of 1/2" like the ones I purchased years ago.

So I've now gone though the guide and changed everything to be 3/8". This had a ripple effect as it requires vinyl tubing with a slightly smaller diameter as well as a brass garden hose fitting with a slightly smaller barb fitting. All links have been updated.

Sorry for the confusion!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: