Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Russian Imperial Stout (Bourbon barrel aged)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffW

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
For anyone that has this beer on nitro: What serving pressure are you using?

I have a beergas blend (75% nitro/25% CO2) with a traditional stout faucet and I hooked up to about 32psi for three weeks. Figured that 8psi of CO2 (25% of 32) would give me the lower end of carbonated that I was shooting for.

I can't seem to get a good nitro pour...no creamy nitro foam. I've tried serving this beer at basically every pressure from 8psi to 40psi of beergas and no luck. I'm thinking I'm just not carbonated enough, but before I carbonate with 100% CO2 and risk over carbonating, I figured maybe I was missing something simple.

Also...this beer is outstanding! Very impressive. Can't wait to (eventually) have a pour on nitro when I finally figure this out!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, London Pride, Wit, Janet's Brown, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

Working on: Belgian Quad, Belgian IPA

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My beer gas mix is 70/30 (nitro/CO2). It's what I started with years ago and it's what works well for me. Serving pressure is around 30 PSI like you and temperature is just above freezing (lower temp = more carbonation picked up by the beer). I simply hook it up and wait 2-3 weeks, then it pours like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7FZ8KJnihQ/

What temp was yours at during the 3 weeks? Are you sure you have the stout faucet restrictor plate installed?

I don't usually pre-carb it but I suppose you could.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
JeffW

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restrictor plate is in place in the faucet. My keezer usually runs about 36-38F, so maybe a few degrees warmer than you. Maybe I'm just not carbonated adequately with the temperature difference.

Nice video...that's what I'm shooting for. My beer flows much faster than that at 30psi, but I only have about 4 feet of beer line between the keg and the tap, so I expect I'll have to adjust the pressure down once I get the carbonation sorted out. Suppose the good news is that while I keep troubleshooting, the beer gets better with time.

Appreciate the reply. The forum is a fantastic resource.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, London Pride, Wit, Janet's Brown, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't have to adjust the pressure down after it's carbed, otherwise it's always going to be changing. I.e. You carb a full keg to the level you want, but then turn down to serving pressure and over time the beer's going to be less carb'ed. That's not ideal (IMHO). Best to have a balanced "set and forget" setup where you set the pressure and walk away, and the first beer is as carb'ed as the last.

Cheers!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: I lied!

My 70/30 beer gas pressure is only at just under 20 PSI, not 30. I just checked. I set it that way about 8 years ago so my memory's obviously not what it used to be so I figured I should go downstairs and take a look. Wink

When I first set it up I remember reading/understanding that the normal CO2 rules kinda go out the window with nitro blends so I set it low to carb the beer for ~2-3 weeks and then did pour test. Wasn't enough so it turned it up a few PSI and waiting another 2 weeks and trying again. Kept doing that until I had the pour I wanted. Ended up at around 20 PSI. That's the PSI I need to have a balanced setup for me. I never touched it again. Every setup will have a different pressure however as they all have different line lengths, temperature, hose diameter, hose restriction factor based on the material used, faucet and restrictor plate style, etc., so what what one person uses for their pressure doesn't mean it'll necessarily work for others. Starting low and working your way up works as you're guaranteed to never overcarb (which is hard to undo). That said, 32 PSI seems high enough given that you only have 4 feet of line. So not sure! Good luck!

Kal

JeffW

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it out!

I followed Kal's suggestion and started low. I increased about 2 psi every couple weeks until I had the classic nitro pour I was looking for. 24 psi turned out to be the magic number for my beer gas setup.

Just wanted to post my solution to this in the event that someone else has the same issue/question in the future.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you figured it out!

The same can be done for setting CO2 levels and finding that "right spot" to have balanced lines (meaning you set and forget and never adjust again): Start low. Increase a few PSI every couple of weeks. Stop when you get a pour you like and never touch it again (maybe write down the PSI however). Wink

It does take time, but you only do it once, and it won't make your head explode like the calculators.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: