Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Problems getting Flaked Barley

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theskylands

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Problems getting Flaked Barley Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all!
First time posting on this forum, I'm from Argentina and I apoligize for my english in advance.

I'm having trouble getting Flaked Barley, it's seems that no store sells it here in Argentina.

Is it possible to cook my own flaked barley? is there any recipe somewhere?

Another idea is replacing it with something else... how about flaked oats?

Thanks for the help!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Flaked barley is simply regular barley that's been rolled flat and toasted. You can certainly make your own if you have barley available. Roll it flat (you may want to slightly moisten it first by steaming) and cook it at 450-500F.

While it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish with it and how much you're using, flaked barley is usually added for increased head retention / body / mouthfeel (slickness). Common in dry irish stouts: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/dry-irish-stout

Carapils or flaked oats or something similar would work too, but the results may be slightly different. The more you use, the more you'd notice the difference. Really depends on what you're doing. For example, subbing out flaked barley for flaked oats in a dry irish stout where a lot is used may give your beer a slightly 'oaty' taste to it as well. Really depends on everything else in the recipe. If I'm only using a little bit in something like an NEIPA I won't have an issue subbing flaked barley for flaked wheat or oat as there's a LOT of other things going on in that style of beer.

What's the beer/recipe? What are you looking to get out of the flaked barley?

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
theskylands

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Flaked barley is simply regular barley that's been rolled flat and toasted. You can certainly make your own if you have barley available. Roll it flat (you may want to slightly moisten it first by steaming) and cook it at 450-500F.

While it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish with it and how much you're using, flaked barley is usually added for increased head retention / body / mouthfeel (slickness). Common in dry irish stouts: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/dry-irish-stout

Carapils or flaked oats or something similar would work too, but the results may be slightly different. The more you use, the more you'd notice the difference. Really depends on what you're doing. For example, subbing out flaked barley for flaked oats in a dry irish stout where a lot is used may give your beer a slightly 'oaty' taste to it as well. Really depends on everything else in the recipe. If I'm only using a little bit in something like an NEIPA I won't have an issue subbing flaked barley for flaked wheat or oat as there's a LOT of other things going on in that style of beer.

What's the beer/recipe? What are you looking to get out of the flaked barley?

Good luck!

Kal

Hi Kal!
Thanks for your answer, I'm trying to do a Dry Irish Stout indeed.
I guess I'll have to make my own flaked barley, the recipe uses a lot of it as you mentiened earlier.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the brew!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Timothy_W

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Have you tried using a press to crush barley grains and get flakes? Well, or alternatively, order delivery from other countries, but this is more expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: