Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

can you store wort?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: can you store wort? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Well today I am brewing the RIS... just 5 gallons though. AND I just realized I am not prepared to properly oxygenate the chilled wort that will be ready in about 3 hours. Sad

I need :
Pure oxygen at a rate of 1 litre per minute for 120 seconds per 5 gallons (twice)

But I currently only have this:
agitating rod

So can I store the chilled wort for a day or two before I aerate and pitch yeast?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can, but not sure I would that long.

No brewer works in perfectly sterile conditions either, so fermentation is always a race against the yeast we pitch and any dust borne wild yeast and bacteria that are floating around in the air. Leave wort out long enough and it will eventually ferment using whatever it picks up from the air, with unpredictable results.

Given the style of beer, it would almost be better to keep it hot (basically pasteurized) at 160F or so until you're ready. But I'm not sure I'd do that either for a day or two.

If I was stuck in this situation and brewing my RIS recipe which uses US-05 active dry yeast, I'd just use the agitating rod because of the note in my aeration/oxygenation guide here about this yeast: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/aerating-oxygenating-wort

Quote: "Manufacturers of active dry yeast (such as Fermentis, makers of Safale US-05 and Saflager W-34/70) may indicate that aeration or oxygenation is not required as their yeast is rich enough in sterols (lipids) and minerals for its own multiplication process. When in doubt, there is certainly no harm in aerating or oxygenating anyway. When using liquid yeast or repitching (reusing) dry yeast the wort should always be aerated or oxygenated."

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: